B/C Bass

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Stuporman
antispam: No

B/C Bass

Post by Stuporman »

I'm going to be getting a new accordion, and have a choice of Burke or McComiskey bass layout. I'm not even playing basses yet. Does anyone have any opinions, , advice, or information about the advantages or disadvantages of either? Thanks.
TaylorMartin

Re: B/C Bass

Post by TaylorMartin »

Stuporman wrote:I'm going to be getting a new accordion, and have a choice of Burke or McComiskey bass layout. I'm not even playing basses yet. Does anyone have any opinions, , advice, or information about the advantages or disadvantages of either? Thanks.
I have the Joe Burke set-up on mine. The buttons are layed-out

d/d D/D g/g G/G
e/a E/A c/f C/F

The McComisky basses are (as I understand it)

g/d G/D c/g C/G
e/a E/A d/f D/F

As you can see, they are quite different even though they have the same basses. For instance, a chord change from d to g requires a button change on the Burke setup and a bellows change in the McConisky. I thought that the Burke would be easier to keep track of since four of the buttons are the same in both bellows directions.

Good Luck!

TM
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

My dad has a Paolo Soprani accordion 3 voice 23 treble 2 row and 8 bass

The layout for the bass keys on this box is

E/A G/D Chords
E/A G/D Basses
C/F C/G Chords
C/F C/G Basses

This link has more on bass layout. http://www.red-bean.com/~noel/keyboard- ... YOUTS.html

Cheers

Fergus
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Here's the bass layout of my older Cairdin B/C, using the same perspective as Fergus did.

I wonder if this is the "McComiskey" layout. It seems very odd to have D paired with F as on Taylor's diagram.

Code: Select all

(Chin)
Press/Draw
Inside	Outside

E/A		G/D	Chords
E/A		G/D	Basses
C/F		D/G	Chords
C/F		D/G	Basses

(Knee)
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Yeah, Taylor's diagram is correct. It's just the Paolo layout with the inside pressing C retuned to D. It seems strange to have the D and F together like that, but in practice it works fine.