Respectful suggestion for a forum rename

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Respectful suggestion for a forum rename

Post by SteveShaw »

I rattle on a lot about religion and politics but I don't post enough about music. I could go a long way towards redressing the balance by posting to this forum, but the trouble is it doesn't attract harmonica enthusiasts much because of its title. Would it really hurt much to change its name to "Squeezeboxes and harmonicas in Irish Trad?" :oops:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

"Free Reeds" would be all-inclusive and accurate, but maybe less understood.

Maybe "Squeezeboxes and Free Reeds"? For all the harmonica, harmonium, melodica, sheng, and shruti box players out there, too. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Perhaps such a change could spur re-imaging in pop consciousness of harmonica as a bona fide musical instrument rather than an annoying toy. Tin whistle has succeeded pretty well in its image makeover. Many think of harmonica like Bob Newhart joking with Suzanne Pleshette, referring to a Harmonicats concert or recording in so many words as second-rate treat. Harmonica needs an image makeover, little but blues-style harmonica getting much respect.
Last edited by brianormond on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'd like harmonicas in the title somewhere! I seem to occasionally run across photos of unusual folks playing harmonicas and I never know where to post them.

Susan
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Are you calling me unusual? :D

susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I've called you many things, Steve, but don't remember "unusual" being one of them...however, if the shoe fits...

;)

Susan
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

what they said

about the forum, not about steve. You're cool, steve :P

...well

mayeb not usual

but you know
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

How about "Squeezeboxes and other Free-Reed Instruments"

There's already a forum specifically for ITM, for those who only play that style, but every other instrument-specific forum here avoids tying it down to one genre.

As a D/G Melodeon player for Morris dancing, I don't feel very welcome here either.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

You guys settle on something and I'll take care of it. Just PM me when you have a consensus.

"PROCTology" is taken.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Martin Milner wrote:"Squeezeboxes and other Free-Reed Instruments"
I'd vote for that one.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Martin, the whole point about the Irish trad label was that, until this forum was created, there was no forum specifically for buttonboxes in Irish trad. There were and are the splendid concertina.net forums for concertinas, and the excellent forums at melodeon.net for D/G, Morris, etc.

Anyway, to my chagrin the forum has never really taken off the way the whistle, flute and pipes ones have. I've come to the conclusion that there's nothing much to be said about accordions... so I certainly have no objection to its being renamed.

I'd suggest The Squeezebox and Harmonica forum. Let all the harmonium, American reed-organ, sheng and melodica players howl all they want.

And if you're going to remove the Irish trad label, then the concertina players really ought to go where Dale wanted them to, to concertina.net. (Interestingly, the people who made the most fuss about including concertinas here have contributed sweet FA - you know who you are :devil: )
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

StevieJ wrote:I'd suggest The Squeezebox and Harmonica forum
I second that, not because "Harmonica" gets a mention in the name but because "free reed" may not ring a bell with many people who might otherwise have taken a look.

Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

respectful

Post by Mr.Nate »

I don't know if my vote counts here but The Squeezebox and Harmonica forum sounds fine to me.

If Martin feels out of place here because he plays Morris music because it says ITM on the label I hope he doesn't but then there just might not be that many other Morris people that hang out here. (sorry!)

I think if Steve wants this to be more friendly for irish harmonica players then post more harmonica stuff and invite your friends over to talk about it.

I personally like to hear (and am amaized) when I hear harmonica on Irish recordings. I would consider trying it myself but I already have alot of irons in the fire. There's only so much one person can do in music given our lifespan and sparetime!

Best wishes,

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Dale wrote: "PROCTology" is taken.
Please reconsider. The combination of squeezeboxes (including gob-iron!) and the colorectal tract has real promise.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
SteveShaw

Re: respectful

Post by SteveShaw »

Mr.Nate wrote:I don't know if my vote counts here but The Squeezebox and Harmonica forum sounds fine to me.

If Martin feels out of place here because he plays Morris music because it says ITM on the label I hope he doesn't but then there just might not be that many other Morris people that hang out here. (sorry!)

I think if Steve wants this to be more friendly for irish harmonica players then post more harmonica stuff and invite your friends over to talk about it.

I personally like to hear (and am amaized) when I hear harmonica on Irish recordings. I would consider trying it myself but I already have alot of irons in the fire. There's only so much one person can do in music given our lifespan and sparetime!

Best wishes,

Nate
I just think that the forum as it is presently named would not really suggest itself to harmonica players. It sort of puts you off posting harmonica-related stuff in a way. Whether anyone thinks that harmonicas are exalted enough in ITM to deserve a mention in a forum name is another matter!