I'm new and I need some pointers

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
robbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm new and I need some pointers

Post by robbie »

I have always loved ITM but only recently realized that I could play it, since then I have been playing the whistle but I want to branch out into the world of concertinas. everywhere I have read says that either B/C or C#/D is ideal for ITM. but I would think a G/D would be best because most irish tunes are in D or G, right??? or can you play other key signatures besides those in the name. It would be nice to be able to play c too, in addition to D and G, it this possible?

I hear tinas as melody alot, but arn't they also sometimes used as just as accompanyment/harmony/rythem too?

also tell me if I have this right. if you want to play basic trad music you get an anglo, if you want more notes you get an english. If you want to play all sorts of notes you get an accordian, and if you want to play everything you get a piano accordian.

I am FAR from a gifted musician and would like too keep things simple and realitivly easy to learn. any thoughts?

thanks
Last edited by robbie on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Hi Robbie,

If you want to play ITM on a concertina, you'll need a C/G Anglo to play in D.
B/C and C#/D are accordion related.

Check this out: http://hmi.homewood.net/rochelle/

Btw, there's no such thing as an easy instrument, you'll have to find out what suites you best.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: I'm new and I some pointers

Post by colomon »

robbie wrote:everywhere I have read says that either B/C or C#/D is ideal for ITM. but I would think a G/D would be best because most irish tunes are in D or G, right??? or can you play other key signatures besides those in the name. It would be nice to be able to play c too, in addition to D and G, it this possible?
The simple explanation is that with the half-step boxes like B/C or C#/D, you have every note available, so you can play in any key possible, just like a piano. With a D/G box, you can only play in the keys of G and D -- but the compensating advantage is that most of the notes you can play are available on both the push and the pull (not on the same button, mind you), giving you a lot more flexibility for bellows direction and chording.

For whatever reason, the tradition seems to be that players or Irish music use B/C or C#/D, and players of English music use D/G.
Last edited by colomon on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I'm not a squeezebox expert, but I've played Anglo, English, and 1-row melodeon as an amateur, and it seems to me that the diatonic instruments (different note on push/pull) are easier.

Kind of a like a harmonica, a diatonic instrument is pretty hard to play out of key. The melodies/harmonies/chords just naturally fall into place.

I haven't tired a Rochelle brand concertina, but it appears that Homewood offers a full-value trade-up if you want to move to a nicer box later on, so that seems like a pretty solid deal for $285. I've heard really bad things about the Hohner cheapie concertinas, so I didn't buy one when I had the chance.

Concertina should be a whole lot of fun, and unlike 'whistle you can actually sing along with it.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

also tell me if I have this right. if you want to play basic trad music you get an anglo, if you want more notes you get an english. If you want to play all sorts of notes you get an accordian, and if you want to play everything you get a piano accordian.
If Irish music on the concertina is what you want to play, you'll need a 30-button C/G anglo.

English system 'tinas are a real kick; they're super easy to play and very adaptable to a wide range of music. Making Irish music sound right on them is kind of a challenge, though.

If you want to earn the respect and admiration of your peers and become a irresistible babe magnet, an accordion is what you need. Especially a C#/D button accordion.
I am FAR from a gifted musician and would like too keep things simple and realitivly easy to learn.
Any free-reed instrument will be fairly easy to start knocking tunes out of -- your tone is built in and it's always in tune, what more could you want? -- but they'll take a lifetime to master. That's what makes them fun.
robbie

Post by robbie »

thanks for the great info guys. I've heard good things about these rochelles so maybe I'll go for one. do you chaps know of any free internet tutorials, there are not gonna be concertina teachers where I live (maybe accordian though)? and I would like something to show me the basics at least (I realley don't know anything about making chords)
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

Ro3b wrote:
If you want to earn the respect and admiration of your peers and become a irresistible babe magnet, an accordion is what you need. Especially a C#/D button accordion.
If you're good, you only need one row. *grin*

An Anglo C/G sounds to be what you're looking for then. Check out www.tradlessons.com , and just search around YouTube for Anglo clips.

If you're handy and motivated, I'd think that you won't suffer too much from the lack of a local teacher, what with the availability of Internet and all.

Lots of tutorials like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdCJlmI_3N8

Heck, this guy has one video showing how each hand is used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dacoOdQeE

Definitely come back and let us know what you end up getting! [/u]
tedrick

Post by tedrick »

one interesting thing --

at times in his recordings, Tim Edey plays a D/G button box -- of course he's a musical genius too

after I got started going down the B/C road I had some thoughts about perhaps going over to tina because it's smaller, more portable and not as loud as a button box.

It also doesn't have a chord side -- so you don't have to answer the question: why don't you use those buttons?
Accordionly yours,
Tedrick Schmenke
robbie

Post by robbie »

The simple explanation is that with the half-step boxes like B/C or C#/D, you have every note available, so you can play in any key possible, just like a piano ------ thats a quote

every note eh? so you can play in any key? what keys can a 30 button C/G anglo play in. what are the pros and cons of concertinas vs accordions
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

robbie wrote:The simple explanation is that with the half-step boxes like B/C or C#/D, you have every note available, so you can play in any key possible, just like a piano ------ thats a quote

every note eh? so you can play in any key? what keys can a 30 button C/G anglo play in. what are the pros and cons of concertinas vs accordions
If you really want to play in every key possible, don't get get any kind of diatonic box - get a 5-row continental button accordion.

On half-step boxes it would be fairer to say that you can play in a handful of keys easily enough, and you're never stuck for an accidental, or bunch of accidentals. You _can_ play in remote keys but you're going to have to work like hell at it. I suspect the same is true of 30-button C/G concertinas.

As for the pros and cons of concertinas and accordions: concertinas are light and easy to carry around but it is very hard to obtain a top quality instrument. Accordions are heavier but you can get top quality instruments very easily - and for much less money.

Aside from that, it's really down to the sound and style you like. Babe magnetism aside. :-)
robbie

Post by robbie »

well I got a rochelle, it will be here tuesaday :D . can't wait. in the mean time I borrowed a piano accordion from the neighborhood polka playing lady, and I think I'm hooked :twisted: :lol: . so I guess play it all is the answer as it invariably is :wink:

thanks for the help!
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

robbie wrote:well I got a rochelle, it will be here tuesaday :D . can't wait. in the mean time I borrowed a piano accordion from the neighborhood polka playing lady, and I think I'm hooked :twisted: :lol: . so I guess play it all is the answer as it invariably is :wink:

thanks for the help!
Well, it's Tuesday, where's the concertina? :D
robbie

Post by robbie »

I've never played any other concertina before, but this one seems to be great. I realley can't imagine it being any better. its got a great sound. all the buttons are in perfect working order, bellows are not overly stiff or loose. I enjoy playing it although it is very different from any other instrament I have played before. It came with a great learning book and a carrying case. I will be travelling alot in the next 2 years and I think this will be a great addition to my pennywhistles as light travelling instaments.
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

robbie wrote:I will be travelling alot in the next 2 years and I think this will be a great addition to my pennywhistles as light travelling instaments.
I'm told that if you're going on aeroplanes, always tell the nice security people that it's a "small accordian". Never mention the "C" word .. apparently there's a type of explosive with the same name ...
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

robbie wrote:I've never played any other concertina before, but this one seems to be great. I realley can't imagine it being any better. its got a great sound. all the buttons are in perfect working order, bellows are not overly stiff or loose. I enjoy playing it although it is very different from any other instrament I have played before. It came with a great learning book and a carrying case. I will be travelling alot in the next 2 years and I think this will be a great addition to my pennywhistles as light travelling instaments.
Welcome to the world of the concertina. If you want to find out more, go to concertina.net. The Rochelle has had a very good write up there, but you will find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner than you think

Been there, though I started with a 2nd Hohner off eBay as the Rochelle was not in production at the time.

Geoff

Geoff