Alternative to leather in accordions

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
yooval

Alternative to leather in accordions

Post by yooval »

is it possible to make an accordion without the use of leather for reeds\bellows\straps etc...? is there an alternative using a man-made material which will be as good(or even better?)
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I guess you could use human skin instead of cowskin. That's man-made, right...

-rimshot!-
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

I suppose a vegan accordion could be made using vinyl or plastic, but that would just be trading one kind of evil for another. And soft plastics degrade faster than leather does too, especially if they're constantly being flexed as in an accordion bellows. Maybe some kind of rubberized canvas would work.
Liam
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Wait, accordion bellows are made of paper, not leather? Are we talking about the seal between the bellows and the box? I am sure you could make the gasket out of rubber, and certainly some accordions do not use leather for the valves in the reeds (I am pretty sure that some sort of plastic or other synthetic is used in my Dad's 70s vintage Hohner.). As for the straps, sure, I see no reason why cloth and or vinyl could not be used effectively.