It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Introduction & Question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am 

Hello -
I've just completed a beginning box class with Brian Hart of Chicago. I have been renting a Delicia accordion from our local Celtic arts group and am looking to buy an accordion of my own. Because I work for a nonprofit arts group, my income is quite modest and I don't have a lot to spend on a box right now. Can't seem to locate the Delicia model here in the states. I was wondering if any of you had experience with the Irish Dancemaster made here in the US. The cost for it would be stretching my funds to the limit, but I might go for it if it would be a box that would be satisfying even after (or if) I get past the beginners stage.

I am a weaver/weaving teacher in central Missouri with very little music-playing background except for a bit of noodling on the whistle. The button accordion has won my heart with its perverse nature and I am determined to continue with it.

Thanks very much for your input.
Jenny
Mid Missouri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:21 pm 

Hi Jenny

I have never seen an Irish Dancemaster but have yet to hear anything bad about them. There is a member here, Claudine, who bought one not long ago. She may not check the board very often so I'd suggest sending her an email.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53

Steve

PS Perverse is right... but you'd be surprised how quickly it gets to seem normal. In other words, you'll be perverted by it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:33 am 

Thank you, Steve. I will contact her. I have communicated with the gentleman at Dancemaster and he seems very forthcoming and helpful.

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:58 pm 

i am still very happy with my Dancemaster accordion. i even feel it sounds better and is easier to play now than when it was all new.

This is the 2007 model of the ST accordion, with 23 treble buttons, a stop to remove the thirds, tuned in C#/D.

Last edited by claudine on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:22 pm 

Jenny,

I have owned two dancemasters with machine grade reeds and was very happy with both! Michael is very helpful and a meticulous craftsman. He plays a C#D himself and is into traditional Irish dance as the name implys. He will make you a BC but his heart is really in the C#D style of playing! He buys parts from different places and assembles them himself! His accordions are under priced! I would spend the extra 100$ and get the binci avoniol reeds. It will make a big difference in the sound. Just go crazy and get the handmade reeds for 200$ more. I know you are just a beginner but in a few years you will wish you had handmade reeds. An accordion with handmade reeds costs thousands of dollars! If you decide to do it later it will probably cost 500$ or more to change out your reeds to a higher quality. One or two hundred or dollars difference is not that much! My first dancemaster was 595$ with machine grade reeds. I bought the cheepest one as to not upset my wife. Back then it would have been alot cheeper to get better reeds...I wish I did!

My advice is....talk to Michael as soon as possible!

Get your order in as soon as possible because there is a waite of 2-3 months (don't quote me on that one....just a guess!)

I would be happy to answer any more questions.

Cheers!

Nate
Colorado Springs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:30 pm 

In case you haven't seen this, it is a clip of an Irish DanceMaster in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBgfnV-3h8

Michael is shipping mine this week.

TM