The gravity test

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Do keep us posted on any more developments! :)

PS What do you mean by better balanced, exactly? Sits more firmly on the knee? Or that the weight is more evenly distributed between the two cabinets? Or something else?

BTW I've just realized another plus for a bigger box: because the instrument is deeper (front to back measurement), my left arm near the wrist has to lie flat against the left end of the instrument to push the bellows. On a shallower box such as a Cairdin, the back edge of the bass cabinet digs into my forearm, enough that I think I should be wearing a tennis player's sweatband to protect the tendons.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:
PS What do you mean by better balanced, exactly? Sits more firmly on the knee? Or that the weight is more evenly distributed between the two cabinets? Or something else?
Both, and also faster keyboard action, i don't have a sore thumb or something, but less pressure gives faster keyboard action for me.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:
BTW I've just realized another plus for a bigger box: because the instrument is deeper (front to back measurement), my left arm near the wrist has to lie flat against the left end of the instrument to push the bellows. On a shallower box such as a Cairdin, the back edge of the bass cabinet digs into my forearm, enough that I think I should be wearing a tennis player's sweatband to protect the tendons.
I believe it's individual. I don't like accordions too large, about 16 cm front too back.
One very good player told me, you're either a 2 voice, a 3 voice or a 4 voice person, so stick to one box. While other good players don't seem to mind about size. Good sound, size and responsivess, i want it all, i want to practice as long as i can. If there's 2 accordions in the house, it's like i haven't made up my mind yet in what i like and don't like about them. I thought i'd end up with a custom made box that way, i like Van der Aa.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I tried two Van Der Aa's last night and i did the bean test...
The bag worked fine on the 1 voice, with concertina sound btw!
But i didn't like it on the 2 voice. So i'm going for a 2 voice :party:
So what i mentioned before "a 3 voice is more balanced than a 2 voice",
might be true for some accordions, for others it isn't. I believe it's best to try out as much as you can, everyone's different.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

lixnaw wrote:I tried two Van Der Aa's last night and i did the bean test...
It's really good to get the results of this international bean-bag-balancing survey­ as they come in!

But I'm curious to know where you got to try two VDAs... I take it you must know one of his good customers? (If you were passing through Colombia presumably you could have tried more than two!)

Now, are you telling me he makes 1-voice boxes as well as 2-voice ones?

He hasn't replied to an e-mail enquiry I sent him several weeks ago.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:
lixnaw wrote:I tried two Van Der Aa's last night and i did the bean test...
It's really good to get the results of this international bean-bag-balancing survey­ as they come in!

But I'm curious to know where you got to try two VDAs... I take it you must know one of his good customers? (If you were passing through Colombia presumably you could have tried more than two!)

Now, are you telling me he makes 1-voice boxes as well as 2-voice ones?

He hasn't replied to an e-mail enquiry I sent him several weeks ago.
:D A fellow in Dingle gave me a try. Hop in your aeroplane captain Lindberg, and you 'll find out! I always get a reply the day after when i send him an e-mail.
Or maybe you should go for a Kincora, Martin also makes 2 voice models about the same size as an Irish Bouebe, extra basses are also an option. But i'm afraid he has no runway for your aeroplane :wink:
Sorry Captain, this was my last bean test, i've made up my mind and ordered.