Single Row Melodeon - do you play one?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Ptarmigan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Single Row Melodeon - do you play one?

Post by Ptarmigan »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I forgot about this post.

Here's a clip of a more recent session featuring a One Row G Melodeon , plus plus Nyckelharpa, Viola, Fiddle & Bodhran!

Jigs

Cheers,
Dick
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

This is how you do it.........:)

http://youtu.be/XOAIrPXh_Hc
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
moonlitnarwhal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm hoping to sell a pair of all-new bellows-blown Scottish Smallpipes. I'm hoping that I came to the right place.

Post by moonlitnarwhal »

[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

I live in Hawaii and have my sights set on a restored single row 1930s Hohner... I'm a complete beginner on the melodeon though, and very likely the only aspiring player on my side of the island, so I'm hoping youtube and some good books can lend a strong hand... anyone else here own an old Hohner single row?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

We've got two Hohner one row, four stop boxes, an older G (1950s, maybe?) and a new D purchased when Hohner announced they weren't going to make them any more last year. Though the last two years I've been mostly playing on my C#/D.

(I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
JimmyManley
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm just starting out on my whistle journey -at the tender young age if 55. So I'm hoping to maybe pick up some tips on playing or who make good quality low priced whistles.

Post by JimmyManley »

colomon wrote: (I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)
Blimey! I hope they told Johnny Connolly :lol:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

JimmyManley wrote:
colomon wrote: (I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)
Blimey! I hope they told Johnny Connolly :lol:
Actually, that really has me confused as well. I don't understand that at all. Anybody? :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Beats me. :boggle:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

As I understand it, a "melodeon" for the purposes of Fleadh competitions is a single-row, diatonic accordion tuned like a Richter harmonica with multiple stops and with two bass/chord buttons on the other side. There are other conceivable layouts for a single-row accordion, so the rule is in place to specify that not every single-row accordion counts as a melodeon.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

bigsciota wrote:As I understand it, a "melodeon" for the purposes of Fleadh competitions is a single-row, diatonic accordion tuned like a Richter harmonica with multiple stops and with two bass/chord buttons on the other side. There are other conceivable layouts for a single-row accordion, so the rule is in place to specify that not every single-row accordion counts as a melodeon.
This may be it? I certainly cannot tell you you're wrong, as I remain completely confused. Some points:

1. "The single row accordion is not a melodeon" is a very different statement from "not {i]every[/i] single-row accordion counts as a melodeon."

2. According to the Wikipedia article for Richter harmonica, the notes (in C) for the row would be C/D E/G G/B C/D E/F G/A C/B E/D G/F C/A. This tuning has the G repeated at the bottom so that you can get a G major (V) chord. (Unlike the "standard" (?) B/C C row, which I believe skips the C/D and then goes E/A G/B C/D etc (and adds another button on top.)

Do you mean specifically that? I have one 4-stop which follows that Richter pattern with the duplicated bottom fifth of the scale on the first button draw, and another 4-stop which has the bottom sixth there so it matches the scale on my C#/D. It would be really weird if one instrument was a melodeon and the other a one-row accordion. The extra fifth chord may make a big difference to accompanying songs -- I'm still trying to figure that out -- but I cannot see why they'd worry about forbidding you to have the extra sixth at the bottom? (Or did you just mean the familiar push-pull push-pull push-pull pull-push middle scale pattern?)

3. Even if that is the logic behind their reasoning, as far as I can see they say absolutely nothing about the key layout on a two-row. Even though conventional wisdom says it is only possible to win playing B/C (or at least that style), the rules themselves don't seem to rule out something like a D/G box, much less some exotic tuning. It seems really odd to worry about the details on the one-row but not the much more common two-row.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Also, this now has me wondering about optimizing the notes on your box to make a specific set of fleadh tunes just a bit easier to play. Sounds nuts....
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

What I meant by comparing it to the Richter-tuned harmonica is the layout of push-pull-push-pull-push-pull-pull-push to get the major scale in the most-used 1st octave; I don't think that a one-row melodeon and a harmonica are normally exactly the same.