It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:09 pm
Posts: 266
Location: North Antrim
[Thread revival. - Mod]

I forgot about this post.

Here's a clip of a more recent session featuring a One Row G Melodeon , plus plus Nyckelharpa, Viola, Fiddle & Bodhran!

Jigs

Cheers,
Dick

_________________
Dick Glasgow
The Irish Concertina
The Irish Tenor Banjo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:50 am
Posts: 1144
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
This is how you do it.........:)

http://youtu.be/XOAIrPXh_Hc

_________________
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Posts: 20
[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

I live in Hawaii and have my sights set on a restored single row 1930s Hohner... I'm a complete beginner on the melodeon though, and very likely the only aspiring player on my side of the island, so I'm hoping youtube and some good books can lend a strong hand... anyone else here own an old Hohner single row?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 2091
Location: Midland, Michigan
We've got two Hohner one row, four stop boxes, an older G (1950s, maybe?) and a new D purchased when Hohner announced they weren't going to make them any more last year. Though the last two years I've been mostly playing on my C#/D.

(I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)

_________________
Sol's Tunes (new tune 7/2018)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:47 am
Posts: 17
colomon wrote:
(I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)


Blimey! I hope they told Johnny Connolly :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11763
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
JimmyManley wrote:
colomon wrote:
(I will admit that my understanding of the names of the instruments was severely damaged when I learned that the Fleadh rules now contain the following bit: "Note 5: Comp 13. Mileoideon/Melodeon: The single row accordion is not a melodeon and is not acceptable in the melodeon competition." I'd always believed the Irish definition of melodeon was "a single row accordion", and now I have no idea whatsoever what they are talking about!)


Blimey! I hope they told Johnny Connolly :lol:

Actually, that really has me confused as well. I don't understand that at all. Anybody? :-?

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33416
Location: Minneapolis
Beats me. :boggle:

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm
Posts: 213
As I understand it, a "melodeon" for the purposes of Fleadh competitions is a single-row, diatonic accordion tuned like a Richter harmonica with multiple stops and with two bass/chord buttons on the other side. There are other conceivable layouts for a single-row accordion, so the rule is in place to specify that not every single-row accordion counts as a melodeon.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 2091
Location: Midland, Michigan
bigsciota wrote:
As I understand it, a "melodeon" for the purposes of Fleadh competitions is a single-row, diatonic accordion tuned like a Richter harmonica with multiple stops and with two bass/chord buttons on the other side. There are other conceivable layouts for a single-row accordion, so the rule is in place to specify that not every single-row accordion counts as a melodeon.

This may be it? I certainly cannot tell you you're wrong, as I remain completely confused. Some points:

1. "The single row accordion is not a melodeon" is a very different statement from "not {i]every[/i] single-row accordion counts as a melodeon."

2. According to the Wikipedia article for Richter harmonica, the notes (in C) for the row would be C/D E/G G/B C/D E/F G/A C/B E/D G/F C/A. This tuning has the G repeated at the bottom so that you can get a G major (V) chord. (Unlike the "standard" (?) B/C C row, which I believe skips the C/D and then goes E/A G/B C/D etc (and adds another button on top.)

Do you mean specifically that? I have one 4-stop which follows that Richter pattern with the duplicated bottom fifth of the scale on the first button draw, and another 4-stop which has the bottom sixth there so it matches the scale on my C#/D. It would be really weird if one instrument was a melodeon and the other a one-row accordion. The extra fifth chord may make a big difference to accompanying songs -- I'm still trying to figure that out -- but I cannot see why they'd worry about forbidding you to have the extra sixth at the bottom? (Or did you just mean the familiar push-pull push-pull push-pull pull-push middle scale pattern?)

3. Even if that is the logic behind their reasoning, as far as I can see they say absolutely nothing about the key layout on a two-row. Even though conventional wisdom says it is only possible to win playing B/C (or at least that style), the rules themselves don't seem to rule out something like a D/G box, much less some exotic tuning. It seems really odd to worry about the details on the one-row but not the much more common two-row.

_________________
Sol's Tunes (new tune 7/2018)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 2091
Location: Midland, Michigan
Also, this now has me wondering about optimizing the notes on your box to make a specific set of fleadh tunes just a bit easier to play. Sounds nuts....

_________________
Sol's Tunes (new tune 7/2018)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm
Posts: 213
What I meant by comparing it to the Richter-tuned harmonica is the layout of push-pull-push-pull-push-pull-pull-push to get the major scale in the most-used 1st octave; I don't think that a one-row melodeon and a harmonica are normally exactly the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.146s | 15 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)