-3-Voice LMM Box: Next best thing in a two-voice box?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

-3-Voice LMM Box: Next best thing in a two-voice box?

Post by brianormond »

-Utter newb here, just a few pulls on anglo & english concertinas, piano accordions and a four-voice single-row to date-

-I loove the three-voice swing-tuned LMM sound like that of John Williams, but am too cheap for a Connemara III. I'd like to come close to that sound in a two-voice, two row box, but have no idea whether the warm sound is due to the low octave reed or whether its a characteristic Saltarelle swing-tuned sound in a two voice. I do like a full & warm but not overly wet sound.

-Logically the next best thing would be a two-voice with good reeds in swing tuning, but opinions/observations from more experienced squeezers are welcome.

-Thanks for any & all opinions.
Brian
Last edited by brianormond on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: -Three-Voice LMM: Next best thing in a two-voice box?

Post by StevieJ »

I was under the impression that JW plays a 3-voice MMM box most of the time. At least he does on the video tutor he made a few years back - I can see all three stops down and there's no low reed sounding! And as far as I can hear there is no low reed on those bits of his albums I have listened to. Jackie Daly's current box is also a Saltarelle with MMM.

But 2-v swing tuning is very nice too. A Saltarelle Irish Bouëbe (2-v) with swing tuning sounds great. I had one, and was forever getting compliments on the sound of it (not my playing :) ). JW plays one of those too for most of his tutor video, only switching to the Connemara for his final few sets of showing off his skills. You can also hear one played to great effect on The Smoky Chimney and on North Cregg CDs.

If you really like 3 voices but don't want to cough up for a Saltarelle 3-v, consider a Serenellini 233 - the "Cloud" model which is very similar to the Saltarelle Nuage, which they used to make for Saltarelle:

or a 273 which is what I have and is very close to the Connemara III:

You can get both these models in black. They are quite a bit cheaper than Saltarelles, esp. if you order direct from the factory. The Cloud goes for $500 less than the Nuage at the Button Box for example, and the quality is at least as good.

Bear in mind that playing a 3-v box involves quite a bit more effort than a 2-v, esp. if you have 12 basses to weigh down the l/h cabinet. I love the sound of the 3-v Selly but I often miss the ease of the Bouëbe (once I'd played it in) and may well downsize to a 2-v at some point in the future.

Steve
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I often miss the ease of the Bouëbe (once I'd played it in) and may well downsize to a 2-v at some point in the future.
You and me both, Steve. I love my 3v 12 bass Castagnari, but if someone had a nice early 90s Bouëbe they wanted to trade me for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

(C#D please. Standard bass setup, swing tuning. In case anyone reads this who's interested. :-))
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Thank you both, StevieJ and Ro3b. There's a lot to mull over with these
things!

Best to you,
Brian