Today's Google banner ad

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Today's Google banner ad

Post by avanutria »

Choice of instrument aside, I don't know if I want to take lessons from someone who can't spell "beginner" consistently.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Is this sort of thing more common than it used to be or am I just getting old and cranky? It's as though people don't read over what they have written even once! I can understand errors in forums like this where we are just chatting, etc. I make plenty here. But I see mistakes so often in documents and in ads like this. The idea that poor spelling or typographical errors diminish one's authority seems to have passed out of existence.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote: I can understand errors in forums like this where we are just chatting, etc. I make plenty here.
It really does, for me, take the focus away from the message, and onto the faulty communication.

It is shocking when copywriters and signwriters make mistakes - but spare a thought for the poor guy I saw on TV this morning who had had an inspiring verse tattooed on his back, with TWO spelling mistakes in it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cynth wrote:Is this sort of thing more common than it used to be or am I just getting old and cranky?
Probably a little of both :)

And it's not like this was a mistake that woudn't have been caught by a
spellchecker. I think the thing that makes this situation even worse is
that people can now make such professional-looking ad copy, without
having to bother with any actual professionalism.

I had a coworker who was trying to start giving guitar lessons. He
showed me a very nice flyer that he was going to post at music shops,
and I immediately underlined 3 gramatical errors and 2 spelling errors.
I think he was a bit insulted, but I wouldn't have gone to a teacher who
couldn't even bother to proofread a paragraph.
Martin Milner wrote:It really does, for me, take the focus away from the message, and onto the faulty communication.
Amen, brother. I think this was why I could never get into comic
books as a kid: I couldn't get through more than 5 word balloons
without throwing up my hands in grammer-induced frustration
(which I followed up with very grammatical swearing).
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Martin Milner wrote:
Cynth wrote: I can understand errors in forums like this where we are just chatting, etc. I make plenty here.
It really does, for me, take the focus away from the message, and onto the faulty communication.
Utter carelessness definitely gets annoying. I'm thinking more of the every-once-in-a-while sort of mistake, I guess. I do read over what I've written here, but not as rigorously as I would do in some situations I suppose.
Martin Milner wrote:It is shocking when copywriters and signwriters make mistakes - but spare a thought for the poor guy I saw on TV this morning who had had an inspiring verse tattooed on his back, with TWO spelling mistakes in it.
Well, I hope he has the errors corrected! I suppose they can't very well just be erased. I wonder if a non-permanent rough draft could be done and then proof-read by some agreed-upon person before the final tattooing takes place? I'd insist on it.

But, actually, the most interesting idea, for me, is the one of you sitting and watching the tattooed back of a man on TV :lol:! Talk about exciting!:wink:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I may be wrong, but it looks like one of those cheap Chinese wheezeboxes to me. Might explain the typo?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

This ad beggs the question.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Cynth wrote:Is this sort of thing more common than it used to be or am I just getting old and cranky? It's as though people don't read over what they have written even once! I can understand errors in forums like this where we are just chatting, etc. I make plenty here. But I see mistakes so often in documents and in ads like this. The idea that poor spelling or typographical errors diminish one's authority seems to have passed out of existence.
I couldn't agree more. Personally I read everything over at least three times before hitting "send." I can't bear to think that anything I post to a forum of thousands of people may contain even the slightest misteak.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

brianormond wrote:This ad beggs the question.
And it begger's belief.

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveShaw wrote:
Cynth wrote:Is this sort of thing more common than it used to be or am I just getting old and cranky? It's as though people don't read over what they have written even once! I can understand errors in forums like this where we are just chatting, etc. I make plenty here. But I see mistakes so often in documents and in ads like this. The idea that poor spelling or typographical errors diminish one's authority seems to have passed out of existence.
I couldn't agree more. Personally I read everything over at least three times before hitting "send." I can't bear to think that anything I post to a forum of thousands of people may contain even the slightest misteak.
:lol: I know! I know! I misspelled "misspelled". But I have it now. I'm just too scared to use it. In case I misspell it. That would be a dreadful misteak.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:It is shocking when copywriters and signwriters make mistakes - but spare a thought for the poor guy I saw on TV this morning who had had an inspiring verse tattooed on his back, with TWO spelling mistakes in it.
Well, I hope he has the errors corrected! I suppose they can't very well just be erased. I wonder if a non-permanent rough draft could be done and then proof-read by some agreed-upon person before the final tattooing takes place? I'd insist on it.

But, actually, the most interesting idea, for me, is the one of you sitting and watching the tattooed back of a man on TV :lol:! Talk about exciting!:wink:
He's planning to, but unfortunately the tattoo parlour he went to are now saying he OK'd the text. He begs to differ. He is coloured, and the text is in very black ink, so the errors may be impossibly to remove without leaving obvious marks, even through laser surgery.

Morning TV. I'm usually not fully awake until 11am. :D I get dozy again around 11:15am.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Passing a pub restaurant the other day "Pealla" was the special of the day. We gave it a miss!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

But the spelling error is only a shadow behind the real problem: it's about freakin accordion!!! What's next, harmonica? :D
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Azalin wrote:But the spelling error is only a shadow behind the real problem: it's about freakin accordion!!! What's next, harmonica? :D
:really:

And Azalin knows exactly what I mean by that... :lol:

Azalin

Post by Azalin »

SteveShaw wrote:
Azalin wrote:But the spelling error is only a shadow behind the real problem: it's about freakin accordion!!! What's next, harmonica? :D

And Azalin knows exactly what I mean by that... :lol:

Hehehehe!!!