US Launch THE SCRIBE the Life and Works of James O'Neill

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Jim McGuire

US Launch THE SCRIBE the Life and Works of James O'Neill

Post by Jim McGuire »

I have copies of THE SCRIBE the Life and Works of James O'Neill by Donegal fiddle player, writer, and researcher Caoimhin Mac Aoidh, Drumlin Publications, paperback, 190 pp.

From the back cover, "The publication of the various O'Neill collections of traditional Irish music in the first decade of the 1900s was the culmination of a visionary project begun in the 1880s. The chance meeting of Francis O'Neill and James O'Neill began a working partnership which produced Irish music collections, regarded by musicians as the most important primary sources of tunes. Francis O'Neill's high profile life was founded on a distinguished career in public service. James O'Neill, an accomplished fiddle player from Co. Down on the other hand, lived a quiet and modest existence. This book documents, for the first time, the life, career, and work of one of Ireland's most important musicians. It confirms previously undiscovered links to an important pre-existing work which sets the O'Neill collections in an entirely new light."

Caoimhin has written an excellent book that deserves notice for anyone who has used or is using the O'Neill Collections. He has combined his fiddle expertise with some nifty field work, both in Northern Ireland and Chicago, to successfully focus attention on the one person, aside from Francis, that made the O'Neill books possible.

I have copies available for $20 plus $5.50 shipping in the US. I can also quote for international, as needed.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

But did he play squeezebox?