How come I hadn't twigged to the fact that...

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

How come I hadn't twigged to the fact that...

Post by StevieJ »

Sorry but I'm still thrashing out the question of keyboard layouts for Irish-style boxes in my mind. Recently I wondered why on earth makers don't do 21 button keyboards with a longer inner row - see the earlier thread.

Having just heard from a couple of makers whose work interests me that they can't reverse the rows with their current designs, the thought hit me that, for C#/D players, a conventional 21-button layout would be absolutely fine, as long as you had the "doh" (D on the inner row, and C# on the outer row) on the fourth button rather than the third.

You would lose the top two buttons of the normal 23-button layout, but 3 out of the four notes these buttons sound are useless anyway. You'd lose your top C# on the inner row but you'd still have one on the outer row. And you'd still have your top C-natural on the outer row. And at the bottom end you'd have low D and, more importantly, low G.

I can't see what's wrong with this picture. Can anyone? I think I'm on the road to a more compact box...
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm an eejit. I have just realized that Rob G explained this solution in the other twigged thread, but on reading it I didn't twig. Thanks for the hint anyway, Rob!