The Pinky

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

The Pinky

Post by Bretton »

Not sure if everyone (i.e. those outside the US) call their smallest finger "pinky" but I've just spent a couple of hours trying to work on a tune (Toss the Feathers) using my pinky finger only for the high B, and I'm suprised how much better my rythm and ornaments sound.

Previously I've used all four fingers pretty equally, using my pinky quite a bit in the higher octave, but I think I may start trying to play everything with my three main fingers and only use the pinky for high B.

I know opinions on this are mixed, but it seems to help in my case...just thought I'd share. :)

-Brett
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

I use my pinky quite a lot on cuts but never on rolls.
I actually don't know why my cuts sound good but but my rolls with the pinky are too sloppy.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

For those who missed the discussion first time around we covered this topic in this thread: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=39147.

I'm glad you've seen the light, Brett! Throwing out the pinky made a huge difference in my playing. I am not afraid to use it now for high notes or cuts, but otherwise I'm convinced that moving around the keyboard is _much_ easier without it. And being able to move around the keyboard is the key to getting a flow going.

But as with everything in music, it's a question of what works for you. For example, just the other day someone who had taken lessons with James Keane told me that he advised using the pinky. (But I'd be very curious to observe his playing and see where he uses it. Maybe he has giant hands and fingers like his brother Sean?)

A single reed sound is really not my cup of tea - doesn't sound like an accordion! And dry is kind of, well, dry. I don't like very wet tuning in Irish music, but I love the complexity of multiple voices fairly closely tuned.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

StevieJ wrote:A single reed sound is really not my cup of tea - doesn't sound like an accordion! And dry is kind of, well, dry. I don't like very wet tuning in Irish music, but I love the complexity of multiple voices fairly closely tuned.
I like the sound of John Williams ("Steam" or "Raven"). What kind of accordion is that? It does sound dry, huh?
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

claudine wrote:I like the sound of John Williams ("Steam" or "Raven"). What kind of accordion is that?
Sometimes it's concertina.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

The accordion he usually plays is B/C Saltarelle Connemara III with three treble voices for a nice rich sound. I wouldn't call it dry - swing or something in between dry and swing.

claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

And what would be an example of dry tuning then?
rh

Post by rh »

claudine wrote:And what would be an example of dry tuning then?
Sharon Shannon comes to mind.
there is no end to the walking
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

rh

Post by rh »

also recommended is this disc:
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Byrne_Dermot.html

pretty jaw-dropping stuff, especially considering he plays a C#/D...
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

rh wrote:
also recommended is this disc:
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_Byrne_Dermot.html

pretty jaw-dropping stuff, especially considering he plays a C#/D...
Indeed, but i like the sound of sharon's box better, Dermot's box sounds rather dull.
rh

Post by rh »

lixnaw wrote:Indeed, but i like the sound of sharon's box better, Dermot's box sounds rather dull.
I like the Castagnari sound too (Sharon's); I think Dermot's playing a Saltarelle on the earlier album and something else (Briggs? Gailliard?) on the Pierre Schryer cd. The melodeon sound on the earlier album is awesome though.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

rh wrote:
lixnaw wrote:Indeed, but i like the sound of sharon's box better, Dermot's box sounds rather dull.
I like the Castagnari sound too (Sharon's); I think Dermot's playing a Saltarelle on the earlier album and something else (Briggs? Gailliard?) on the Pierre Schryer cd. The melodeon sound on the earlier album is awesome though.
Dermot plays a Dougie Briggs, it might sound dull to my ears, but that's just my ears.... I heard his boxes have incredible very fast action.