New box

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tim Hall »

Dale wrote:Hm. This appeals to me.....

Although I need to go single-reed.
Me too, on both counts. I was looking at this little box on the Giustozzi website:

the "5/A" which looks like the single-reed version of what Bretton got, the "11/A". I like the idea of the air-button modification too.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Sounds like a good idea. I think if I were to do it over again, I'd go with the one reed model and get wood instead of cellulose (although, the black looks pretty cool :) ).

However, the body and bellows are small enough that you need to be pretty good at using the air button. If you've been playing one of the "toy" accordions (that's also what I mostly played on previously...with the one reed mod) then you'll be fine. If you're used to a full-sized box it may take some getting used to.

-Brett
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Bretton wrote:Sounds like a good idea. I think if I were to do it over again, I'd go with the one reed model and get wood instead of cellulose (although, the black looks pretty cool :) ).

However, the body and bellows are small enough that you need to be pretty good at using the air button. If you've been playing one of the "toy" accordions (that's also what I mostly played on previously...with the one reed mod) then you'll be fine. If you're used to a full-sized box it may take some getting used to.

-Brett
My Hero one-row has so many air leaks, phrasing is almost impossible. Any decent bellows would be an improvement.

Do you miss the high c-sharp much? I noticed that Giustozzi has some nine-button boxes, but no single-reed models.

How's the build quality?

Did you request that they use regular size buttons for the accidental row - the website pics have what looks like smaller buttons there.

What was the time between ordering and delivery for you?

I'm going to send an email to the factory, but it is August in Italy too, so everyone may be on holiday.

Thanks,

Tim
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I don't currently play any tunes that need the high C#, so I haven't missed it yet. I didn't request the regular size buttons, it just came that way. I was happy with that...wasn't sure about those tiny ones.

The build quality is good. Maybe not quite as nice as Castagnari or Hyde (the only other boxes I've owned).

I first emailed them about ordering on June 15th, and I had the box on August 2nd. I didn't actually send payment until July 15th. I think they had the basic box in stock and just had to put in the reeds as I requested. So, it was very fast compared to the year+ wait Castagnari usually has. If you order one that's not in stock I guess it could take longer.

-Brett
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

For Dale and anyone else who might be interested:

I emailed Giustozzi asking about their one-reed box 5/A and received the following in reply:

Mod. 5/A with strap and case costs Euro 237,00 + shipping charges, no extra cost for your layout.
For this model the case may be too large so I suggest you the soft bag that is more suitable for Mod. 5/A.
If you prefere the bag Mod 5/A costs Euro 230,00 + shipping charges with
strap and bag. Extra cost for Special Reeds Hand Type Reeds Euro 30,00.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I can't believe I'm going to do this (think about another instrument)...but that little 5A box really appeals to me.

What are the sound difference between a single reed instrument and a double reed? Would the single reed be quieter?

Looking at Bretton's keyboard layout - it looks like you could play over 99% of ITM on it...am I right?

Obviously, I'm a newbie to this entire melodeon/accordion scene...although I did have one of those toy Hero models I played around with for a bit (and liked...although I did find the key of C difficult for playing ITM with).

Eric
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Jayhawk wrote:What are the sound difference between a single reed instrument and a double reed? Would the single reed be quieter?
Not necessarily quieter - the volume depends on a number of factors. If the reed blocks are mounted flat on the soundboard, single-voice boxes can be very loud - the Castagnari Lilly is one example.

I don't care for the single-voice sound, and I think if I did, I'd get a concertina. I find a two-voice sound infinitely preferable - more complex, more interesting to the ear. Of course, on a multi-voice box you need to know what kind of tuning (degree of "wetness") you like, and make sure you get it. If you like single-voice, that's one difficulty removed! BTW from what I understand, multi-voice Giustozzi boxes will be tuned very wet unless you specify otherwise.
Looking at Bretton's keyboard layout - it looks like you could play over 99% of ITM on it...am I right?
Well I wouldn't want to argue about percentages, but certainly you've got a lot of dance tunes covered. You have in effect, a stripped-down C#/D (or I should say D/C#, since your main row is the outer row) and you have available the accidentals you'd use most frequently on a full two-row.

But: with only eight keys (instead of the usual ten on a one-row) you haven't a low B, which would be a problem for me - a surprising number of tunes go down to low B, and on those tunes you'd be reduced to octave jumping or other faking as on a whistle. I'd find the lack of a low C-natural a pain, too. And a high C-natural (at the top of the scale), for that matter.

Steve
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Steve...I don't mind octave jumping, it's what I'm forced to do all the time on my flute, and I can't think of much that I play that would be hampered by the lack of a high C#.

I'll probably not make the jump now, but it's something to think about in the future.

Eric
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Jayhawk wrote:Thanks Steve...I don't mind octave jumping, it's what I'm forced to do all the time on my flute, and I can't think of much that I play that would be hampered by the lack of a high C#.
Yes, but why would you want to restrict yourself to what you can already play on the flute? One of the great things for a whistle or flute player taking up a box, especially a (so-called) chromatic box like a B/C or C#/D, is the additional repertoire that opens up to you. Fiddle tunes that dip below D, airs in lovely keys like G-dorian, and lots more besides. In fact you can tackle any tune at all, although it generally gets harder as you add more sharps and flats.

Steve
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Money - that's a big reason, and also a hope for a slightly quieter box than a normal B/C or C#/D as well as a smaller box.

Besides, I can play all those lower notes on my tenor banjo if I feel like I'm missing out on them. :D

My wife thinks I'm mentally ill, but there's something about the sound of a free reed instrument that I like. The D diatonic harmonica I have has a wonderful sound when played by a decent player - I just can't get the hang of that thing. In comparison, that toy accordion I had was fun and made sense to me when I played it...I'm guessing it was a single reed?

Eric
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I can confirm StevieJ's opinions on the loudness of the Lilly, I play one outdoors for Morris dancing, and have no problems making myself heard :D

The decision to go single reed for me was really more to do with size and weight of the box. The really small and light boxes (Saltarelle Epsilon, Castagnari Lilly and Loffet Toupetit) are all single reed, to pack all the stuff in

I have a 2-voice box, a Castagnari Studio, and am perfectly happy with that sound - it's more interesting when playing just melody notes, but it is significantly bulkier and heavier than the Lilly.

Before another month has passed I hope to have my own Streb eMelodoen - with any number of voices from 1-4 possible, and a whole bunch of other stuff too, including alternate tunings, basses w/o the 3rds, etc.

Unfortunately it also weighs a fair bit more than the Lilly, so when I'm carrying Morris Kit (including pretty flowery straw hat) fiddle and emergency rainwear, the Lilly is still the melodeon of choice.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tim Hall

Post by Tim Hall »

Jayhawk wrote: In comparison, that toy accordion I had was fun and made sense to me when I played it...I'm guessing it was a single reed?

Eric
Don't count on it - those Hero/Schylling boxes are generally two-voice, and need to be modified by taping off one set of reeds. There's a tutorial on this by Dale at http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/winds/sbx/heromail.html

Tim
[/url]
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Here's one that might tempt you, Bretton et al., - available, according to the Swiss makers' website, with from 1 to 3 voices.

Go to http://www.akkordeonwerkstatt.ch/eigenbau.html and click on one of the diatonic models in the picture. It helps if you can read German.

I have a feeling it might cost more than E237 though...

They also do a "medium" line of very compact 2-row boxes weighing under 2kg, also available in 1-3 voices, that I am finding very intriguing just now.

Steve
Last edited by StevieJ on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bretton

Post by Bretton »

Oooo.... look at this one:

-Brett :party:
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

For sure this is the lightest, Martin
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere