Boorinwood accordions?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Boorinwood accordions?

Post by claudine »

I really want to learn accordion but can't afford a decent instrument in the next 12-18 months. When I looked for something cheap I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... WNA:UK:122
Would this instrument be good enough for an accordion beginner to learn the basic technique during 1-2 years?
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Claudine,

I believe these boxes are made in the Czech Republic. I have never seen one but I have read a rather damning comment about their responsiveness and reed quality written by an experienced player.

So unless anyone here can say something more positive about them from experience, I'd advise you to wait. Ask Theo Gibb if he can fix you up with a reconditioned Hohner or something else in the key that you want. That would probably cost you at least twice the price of this box mind you.

Or look out on eBay for a made-in-Germany Hohner Double-Ray. Sometimes they fetch US$600 but sometimes they go for a lot less.

BTW I think the eBay seller is being a little disingenuous when he talks about these boxes being "sold in shops" - he has a store himself!

Steve
rh

Post by rh »

StevieJ wrote: I believe these boxes are made in the Czech Republic.
Looks Chinese to me, like maybe aYingjie.
there is no end to the walking
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

rh wrote:Looks Chinese to me...
Striking resemblance! Here's a quote from the Irishbox group on yahoo...
Poster 2 wrote:
poster 1 wrote: Boorinwood 21/8/2P, that's what O'Neil's in Ireland calls their Czech made (old Hohner student box factory). JP O'Neil told me that they are an upgrade from the Hohner B.D. (china made version I'm sure). I'm looking for any feedback you might have as to
the reputation of this box....
This Boorinwood model is definitely NOT an upgrade when you're coming from a Hohner Double Ray - more a waste of money, as they are harder to play due to their unresponsive reeds and stiff bellows.
Possibly they are worse now if made in China! The eBay seller btw has an odd attitude to web trading. Quite apart from the design of his website, he regularly offers a new Paolo Soprani for sale on eBay with a photo of an old model with a different coupler arrangement... The price for the model he IS selling is not especially advantageous either.

Steve
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I guess I'll wait a bit longer until I have enough money for a Saltarelle or Castagnari and I will use the waiting time for practicing the flute.
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Another thought, if you want something to learn the basics on: consider a Weltmeister. Unlike Hohners they are still made in Germany and quality is reckoned to be very reasonable.

Can't find a full selection of their models on a web site but they do make a variety of two-row, two-voice boxes, some that look very much like classic Hohners. You can read descriptions of some here: http://buttonbox.com/newba.html#but4

No prices there but that is because the RRP in North America are not all that cheap, but dealers, including the Button Box, will offer you a very hefty discount - up to about 40% in fact. A heck of a lot less than a Castagnari anyway and good enough to find out if you want to invest in a high-end job.

Maybe you can find a dealer within (motor)biking distance of you...

You might want to order one tuned a bit drier than the standard, and if you want an Irish tuning it may be a special order anyway.

S