A starter question...

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
straycat82
antispam: No

A starter question...

Post by straycat82 »

A quick couple of questions. I've done a search but the results were too numerous to go through.
In the realm of concertinas, is an anglo 30 button C/G the best way to go for Irish music? I realize that there are many different ways to go but for someone who is only going to own one concertina would this allow me to play the widest range of common tunes?
Also, I know that I'm going to have to shell out some cash to get a decent one (I'm not for buying a piece of junk or a cheap mass produced instument to learn on) but I also don't have $1000 + to spend. Any recommendations for a good place to buy a nice but not necessarily top of the line concertina?
Thanks,
Johnny
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A starter question...

Post by Martin Milner »

straycat82 wrote: Is an anglo 30 button C/G the best way to go for Irish music?
Yes, it's the only sensible choice. If you get a 20 button for cheapness, you'll be limited in tune choice.

Beware buying somethine unseen and unheard off eBay, as it will probablly need a major overhaul and retune to put it into playable condition.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

You should have a look at the forums at concertina.net. This kind of question is asked regularly - in fact there's a <a href="http://www.concertina.net/forums/index. ... 1">current topic about what kind of Anglo to get</a>. People there are very forthcoming with advice!

Steve
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Thank you kindly gents.
Caj

Post by Caj »

Martin Milner wrote:
Yes, it's the only sensible choice. If you get a 20 button for cheapness, you'll be limited in tune choice.

... by a factor of about 50%, which I don't consider a big deal.

Of course this is from my own computer analysis of tunebooks, and we all know the map is not the territory etc. However it matches my own personal experience and those of several others.

If you pay less for a good 20-button, you will have more than enough concertina to keep you busy, and can get something nicer-sounding for less money.

That being said, the third row gives more than just accidentals. You get push As and pull Gs, plus a low low E and a low A.

Caj
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Caj wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:

... by a factor of about 50%, which I don't consider a big deal.

Of course this is from my own computer analysis of tunebooks, and we all know the map is not the territory etc. However it matches my own personal experience and those of several others.

If you pay less for a good 20-button, you will have more than enough concertina to keep you busy, and can get something nicer-sounding for less money.

That being said, the third row gives more than just accidentals. You get push As and pull Gs, plus a low low E and a low A.

Caj
Point taken - I'm judging on Avanutria's experience, where she'll hear a tune she likes on a CD and then try to learn it. If you pick your tunes from books then of course you can avoid the ones that require the notes on that third row.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Its going to be tough to find a useable concertina for learning for less than $1000, but have you tried the Buttonbox:

http://www.buttonbox.com/stocklist.shtml

The Stagi's are at least better than the Hohners, but I'd highly suggest saving up for something like a Morse or Tedrow. I started on a Tedrow and its a great instrument:

http://hmi.homewood.net/

I believe that Bob also some sort of upgrade to Stagi instruments to make them more playable.

You can definitely get by on a 20 button instrument to start, will have to learn to do substitutions for the C# in tunes, but it would be better to start on a 30 key if you can work it out. Depending on who's fingering system you use (I'm a strict Noel Hill practitioner), you might even be able to have an infrequently used note retuned to C#. Perhaps the top row right hand push on the 3rd button (usually a high G, but you can use the bottom row first button) Just an idea.

Cheers,
Michael

Cheers,

Michael
scheky

Post by scheky »

Consider the Rochelle..

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rochelle.htm

I know the players of the Jackie English consider it to be a great beginner's instrument. At $279, it's a great starter. Wim's not going to be selling junk, even on his learner boxes.
eskin

Post by eskin »

That's great to know that there may finally be a good starter instrument available under $500!
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Wow, that seems almost too good to be true. Looks like a quality beginner instrument for the price. It's a shame though that it hasn't come on the market yet so nobody could review it.

Thanks to everyone for responding.