Swannaoa Single Row Accordion

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Swannaoa Single Row Accordion

Post by Ed Harrison »

I will be going to Swannanoa for the David Powers piping classes.
Since I have a 10 button single row accordion (in C), do you think I should try the Irish Accordion classes there?

One friend on mine said" Don't even try with a single row, the classes are are geared toward Irish Accodions two rows in B/C C#/D tuning".

Does any one play a single row in Irish sessions?

Thanks ... Ed
Liam
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Hmmm, you are in kind of a tough situation. There is no doubt about it, the single row melodeon has a definite, if unfortunately usually neglected, place in Irish Traditional Music. There are only a few CDs made by the few people who play the the melodeon and to the best of my knowledge none of the workshops include a melodeon class.

Unfortunately your box is a C tuned box. If was tuned in D, I would suggest taking the class oriented towards C#/D players since the C#/D style evolved from the playing of the melodeon. Unfortunately, a C box is only appropriate for a small sampling of tunes (in the standard keys) and neither the B/C nor the C#/D class would be particularly well suited. The C#/D teacher might be amenable to you playing in a different key than the other players, but it would be probably better if you could contact them before you register for the class. Is there anyway you can borrow a C#/D box for the class?

--
Bill
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Just to 2nd Liam's opinion... if it were a D one-row, then you'd probably be fine in a C#/D class, but with a C box you wouldn't be able to play along (or by ear) with others in the class.

-Brett
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ed Harrison »

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe I should go to Augusta for Cajun week with this box

..... Ed