what kind of concertina is this?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

what kind of concertina is this?

Post by Flogging Jason »

On a whim I decided I'd like to try my hand at the concertina and so........I went on ebay and bought one! For a grand total of $23.80 I am the owner of the following concertina. I hope this link works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

If any of you experts out there can tell me anything about this little box I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Jason,

You have a 20 button anglo concertina, most probably tuned in C/G, C scale on the outer row and G scale on the inner row. Check the tuning against something you know (whistle, piano or whatever).

You've probably figured it's not a top-end beast, but it's good enough to get the feel of whether you want to invest more time and money in learning to play concertina.

There should be an air button on the right hand end that goes under your right thumb, I can't see it in the picture but I guess we're only seeing the left end. Never work the bellows without having some button pressed - if you want to work them silently, hold down the air button.

The more expensive makes curve the rows of buttons to fit more comfortably under your fingers, and will have better response, less leaky bellows, easier buttons to work, etc. A 30-button anglo adds a row of accidentals above the C row.

There are two other types of concertina.

English concertinas have the rows of buttons aligned vertically and no wrist straps, the instrumewnt instead being held by thumb and pinkie of each hand. The buttons play the same note in both directions, and to play a scale you play on alternate ends.

The duet system is more complex, having the bellows separated in the middle so in effect you're playing two concertinas stuck back-to-back. They are thus much more flexible, and at the same time more complicated, to play. The whole machine is usually much larger than English or Anglo, with more buttons on each end. Very few people play the duet system due to its expense and complexity.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

Thanks for the information Martin! I do hope it turns out to be in C/G, it'll fit in better with the traditional celtic music I prefer to play. I'm looking forward to learning a new instrument.