A Touch of Brilliance

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Sean Dillon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

A Touch of Brilliance

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I may be preaching to the converted, in which case ignore me, but I recently found free software here that you can use to record stuff to your hard-drive from RealPlayer or any other internet streaming source. I recorded the Sharon Shannon with it tonight as an MP3 file (cheers, mate!) and have it on a CD-R now. It ain't CD quality by a long chalk, but what the heck if it's free! Actually, the recording has some hiss and flutter, which suggests it was made on a tape machine not of the first water. Odd, I thought. :-?

(You have to have RealPlayer installed to hear BBC programmes. I don't like it, but...well...)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Who's the fluter in Sharon's band? Does she play flute? The track I'm thinking of is one she introduces as a reel called Rathlin Island, which she learned from Peter Browne. It's about 15 minutes into the broadcast.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
gregS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gregS »

Sharon plays the tin whistle herself on that track. She's also a mean fiddler as well as an outstanding box player(obviously). When I saw her she borrowed a whistle from someone in the audience to play that set. Thanks for the link Sean. I've been enjoying the music all morning.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Here's another vote of thanks to Sean.

There's a lot of other fascinating artists to be heard there, too. But what to make of this quote about one of them?

"Nigel Kennedy remains proof positive of the eternal precept that virtuosity without soul is worthless." :devil: