introductions of participating box players

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.

What tuning are you playing?

Poll ended at Sat May 06, 2006 7:51 am

B/C button box
4%
C#/D button box
38%
Anglo Concertina
42%
English Concertina
8%
Harmonica
4%
Stomach Steinway
4%

Total votes: 24

accordeonaire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: introductions of participating box players

Post by accordeonaire »

Hello, just discovered this forum because someone linked to my tradFrench music blog. I play G/C accordions, and I'm pretty focused on that Auvergne/Massif Central repertoire. I do play whistle, and at one time played whistle a lot, and played Irish music a lot. I was on the old Irtrad mailing list, and I believe I was on Chiff and Fipple back in the early '90s. I could be wrong about that, though. My memory ... what was I saying?

Then I discovered French music and the squeeze box and my quality of life shifted significantly.

I was surprised to see how this forum has grown and expanded. Seem like a nice bunch of folks. Thanks for having me.

Gary Chapin
http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey everyone. Some of you remember me from past posts as a guitar player and whistler..

Just got a Dino Baffeti B/C. Hoping to slowly attain tunes as well as use the thing for sea shanteys and in my music group. I took the advice to get a B/C from a thread here but was surprised to see a plurality have the C#/D. I chose the B/C because I wanted to have C as an option because it occurs so much in the non-Irish music I play....

Anyway, found a great accordion store called Smythe Accordions here in the SF Bay Area (Oakland). It all started when I found a PA on a wantad for $100. Traded it in for credit against a chromatic, then traded up for this one. It has a really sweet sound and a something-or-other bar on the bass side to take away thirds on chords (I guess for minor playing accompaniment). Anyway, Kimric Smythe gifted me a B/C VHS tutor so I shall work my way...

That's my story.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The Weekenders wrote:Hey everyone. Some of you remember me from past posts as a guitar player and whistler..
Hi Weeks ... Long time! It's nice to see you around these parts again. :thumbsup:
The Weekenders wrote:Just got a Dino Baffeti B/C. Hoping to slowly attain tunes as well as use the thing for sea shanteys and in my music group.
A very nice box. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
The Weekenders wrote:I took the advice to get a B/C from a thread here but was surprised to see a plurality have the C#/D. I chose the B/C because I wanted to have C as an option because it occurs so much in the non-Irish music I play....
Well, I think it's partly generational. There was a trendy shift to C#/D a few years ago. But both are very much out there. In fact, I personally still see more B/C boxes in the hands of actual session players (including myself, rarely).

And sure, there's no reason not to learn to play melodeon style on the C row at the same time you're learning cross-row B/C style. In fact, I wish I had done more of that when I first started. And it may make learning the basses easier. Also, if you learn to play in C and F and the related keys, then switching to a C#/D box should be fairly easy.
The Weekenders wrote:a something-or-other bar on the bass side to take away thirds on chords (I guess for minor playing accompaniment).
No, not just for minor. Because of the modal nature of the Irish dance tunes, playing with the thirds pulled out tends to be the preferred default setting for everything. That is, if you play the chord buttons at all.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Nice to see yer buggy eyed frog there, too, MT. I assume yer still keeping San Diego safe for all of us.

Thanks for explanations and info. The box is a beautiful little thing. It has swing tuning, which sounds great to my ears, whether that's ultimately what I might want...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
PaulHurst

Post by PaulHurst »

Hi all

Just joined the forum as I'm learning to play the flute - but since the late 70's I've been a box player.

Although I have English (Aeola) and Anglo concertinas (Andy Norman), and pipes (Jon Swayne), my main love is my 'G' Mark Savoy four stop one row.

Originally a dance musician (Seven Champions Molly), since the 80's I've made a chunk of my living playing for barn dances (www.barndance.co.uk.)

learning the flute partly for my own enjoyment, partly for the 'medieval' themed events we also run.

Best wishes to all.
Mudchutney
Tell us something.: I'm an accordion player, I love playing Irish music. I also run a shop called Mudchutney selling folk music themed clothing, go take a look, I think it's brilliant! I'm registering because I love all things folky and music related so want to share the love, and read more and more about this kind of stuff. Is that enough? Feels weird writing like this...kind of like trying to be a real person, which obviously I am, but you don't know that.

Post by Mudchutney »

Not sure if it's the "done thing" to introduce oneself so I'll do it anyway and hope it's ok.
Ben here, chromatic box player from Somerset, UK. I play mainly Irish music in pub sessions whenever and wherever I can.
Always looking for new tunes, just struggling to find the time to learn the things!!
Instruments: Saltarelle Bourroche CBA (C system)
Music: mainly Irish, but also some Scottish / English / French
LongHairedDavid
Tell us something.: I have recently started playing the tin whistle after a few years with an Anglo concertina. I enjoy playing English and Irish folk music plus, strangely, Traditional Jazz.

Post by LongHairedDavid »

Hi everyone. I am an Anglo 20 button player that has recently taken up the Irish Tin Whistle. My concertina is an 1879 Lachenal - body, reeds and buttons but new bellows. A bit fed u with being constrained to C/G but tried a 30 button and had trouble with my arthritic fingers so went back to my trusty Lachenal. Enjoying the whistle as I can, at least, play is a few more keys without mental transposition.
David
from the Ipswich Waterfront