Best english (or anglo) concertina for less than 600$..

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Digger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Digger »

colomon wrote:
Digger wrote:Moreover, I like the sound of the Stagi better - the Jackie is loud and strident, more like a "real" concertina I guess, but certainly not mellow sounding like my Lachenal.
I don't play concertina, but I have a good friend who's got a Dipper, and I would never ever describe it as "loud and strident". "Sweet and mellow", sure.

I thought the strident ones were less expensive concertinas with accordion reeds, and the stridency was considered bad?
Sol,

Well, loud is not necessarily bad but by stridency I mean a sort of harshness. Of course, I am referring only to the Jackie, the sound of which has been characterized by some as being closer to a concertina-reeded instrument rather than the accordion-reeded instrument that it is. My Stagi is more mellow and much quieter (which, of course, some would regard as a fault). I have a Lachenal as well and it is as loud as the Jackie but sweet and mellow, like you say.

By the way, how are you coming along on the Weltmeister?

Rand
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Digger wrote:I am referring only to the Jackie, the sound of which has been characterized by some as being closer to a concertina-reeded instrument rather than the accordion-reeded instrument that it is.
I've heard a Jackie, and I wouldn't say that at all. They spacing of the buttons is designed to be the same as traditional concertinas, but the sound is VERY accordion-reeded sounding.
Digger

Post by Digger »

BoneQuint wrote:
Digger wrote:I am referring only to the Jackie, the sound of which has been characterized by some as being closer to a concertina-reeded instrument rather than the accordion-reeded instrument that it is.
I've heard a Jackie, and I wouldn't say that at all. They spacing of the buttons is designed to be the same as traditional concertinas, but the sound is VERY accordion-reeded sounding.
Wim Wakker has designed accordion-reeded concertinas with acoustic properties that make them sound more like "real" concertinas. In my opinion, the Jackie does sound more like a real concertina (but with the bit of harshness that I mentioned) than a Stagi. Though blasphemy to concertina buffs, some folks actually prefer the sound of accordion-reeded instruments like the Stagi to that of real concertinas.

Rand
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Digger wrote:Wim Wakker has designed accordion-reeded concertinas with acoustic properties that make them sound more like "real" concertinas. In my opinion, the Jackie does sound more like a real concertina (but with the bit of harshness that I mentioned) than a Stagi. Though blasphemy to concertina buffs, some folks actually prefer the sound of accordion-reeded instruments like the Stagi to that of real concertinas.
Ah! You're thinking of the Geuns-Wakker concertinas, an entirely different beast from the Jackie. The Jackie is made in China to Wakker's specifications, but doesn't have high-quality modified accordion reeds like the Geuns-Wakker concertinas. I play a Geuns-Wakker concertina, and I've played a Jackie, and believe me, they're very different. The Geuns-Wakker does have a bit of that old concertina sound, I don't think the Jackie does at all. But that's "as designed."

I agree, the accordion sound isn't worse, just different. I also prefer it in some settings.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Digger wrote:By the way, how are you coming along on the Weltmeister?
Well, I'm still focusing on one-row playing at the moment, so I'm not taking full advantage of it. (Though I've experimented a bit, and it seems surprisingly natural to go to the outer row for accidentals.) But it's very nice to have. Remarkable how much more air-tight it is than the other boxes we have around; things that would be impossible on them spring out very nicely on it.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Digger

Post by Digger »

colomon wrote:
Digger wrote:By the way, how are you coming along on the Weltmeister?
Well, I'm still focusing on one-row playing at the moment, so I'm not taking full advantage of it. (Though I've experimented a bit, and it seems surprisingly natural to go to the outer row for accidentals.) But it's very nice to have. Remarkable how much more air-tight it is than the other boxes we have around; things that would be impossible on them spring out very nicely on it.
Good to hear. Incidentally, have you seen these folks? -

http://www.irishdancemaster.com/accordion.html

I thought of you and the Weltmeister when I saw that they retune to reduce wetness.

Rand
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I'm pretty sure I was on their webpage once a year or two ago -- it all looks familiar. For some reason (though I wouldn't do it with any accordion I have!) I'm amused at the thought of changing the tuning to something really weird, like A#/B. :)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)