Marcus Butler RIP

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Marcus Butler RIP

Post by benhall.1 »

Marcus Music, of Newport, Gwent, South Wales, posted this notice yesterday on their Facebook page. He was a great man and a huge support for musicians in South Wales and elsewhere over the years, and not just those who play concertina.

"Marcus Butler 1937-2021
It is with great sadness we announce the passing of Marcus Butler.
Marcus founded Marcus Music in 1982, nearly 40 years ago.
Over the years Marcus has provided a platform within the folk music industry serving not only concertina players, drummers & re-enactment groups, but also providing a repair service for all kinds of musical instruments within the folk world.
Marcus was also the founder member of Tredegar House Folk Festival, bringing performers from all over the world to Wales.
As some of you know, Marcus has had dementia for the past two or three years, and has had to step back from the business, leaving his team to carry on manufacturing concertinas and rope tensioned drums.
Next year 2022 we will be celebrating 40 years of being in business serving the folk music industry.
Marcus leaves behind his loving wife, three children, grand children and great grand children.
His name will live on in the concertinas and drums we produce.
We’ll leave you with a photo of Marcus from 2016 with his other great love of station master at Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway. Photo by Nick Treharne . This photograph of Marcus will be included in an exhibition in The Senedd, Cardiff in January 2022."

jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Marcus Butler RIP

Post by jemtheflute »

A lovely man and a sad loss.
https://www.marcusmusic.wales
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Geraint

Re: Marcus Butler RIP

Post by Geraint »

I heard about this on Saturday night. A sad thing to hear. I thought about Marcus.

I've had a fair few Saturday nights with him and the crew from Newport way over the years. Other nights too. We used to go quite often to the sessions in the Bell in Caerleon on Wednesday nights, during holidays when we didn't have to get up on Thursday mornings! I had one of the best New Years Eves of my life in the Bell, years ago. Great music, great beer and congenial company.

I'm sure that many people will remember him for his kindness. He and the rest of the Marcus Music people live their music and love to see others learning and playing it. I know that Marcus supported Calan as they started out as a band. He was generous in his support of the Tredegar House Folk Festival over the years. Lots of festival-goers will recall the endless cups of tea and all-day buffets that Pauline would prepare to keep us going. There were a few gallons of real ales sloshing around too.

The last time I saw him was in the 2019 festival. I'll remember him, with his flag in the front of the parades and me and a few other behind playing pipes, with Dave Cox banging his drum as we went.

Marcus was a man of principle, who loved Wales and wanted the best for her. He never wavered in his commitment, and although he could wear it lightly he didn't compromise in his beliefs. A considerable craftsman, a good musician, a really good bloke.

Cwsg Mewn Hedd, Marcus.
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....