Chromatic harmonica for Celtic and Baroque?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
jim stone

Chromatic harmonica for Celtic and Baroque?

Post by jim stone »

I played chromatic harmonica as a kid, not since but I'm sure I still know how. Need this info. I want to play irish tunes and also baroque on harmonica. I see chromatic harps in C and in G. Which is better suited? Thanks
fatmac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Chromatic harmonica for Celtic and Baroque?

Post by fatmac »

Personally, I'd stick with a C, but make it an orchestra tuned - if you want a 12 rather than a 14, Seydel is the way to go. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

thanks What's orchestral tuning
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Seydel seems to be out of stock. What about Hohners? What do two more holes buy you. Thanks!
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1075--Harmo ... gbflag=0&m
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How bout this? I'm trying to play Bach on harmonica, as I did on the flute. Much appreciate your opinions!https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... chromonica
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Someday I'll get to dedisgn my own Irish tuning chromatic harmonica, which would be a Paddy Richter tuned D harmonica with the slide out and a C# Paddy Richter tuned harmonica with the slide engaged. Kind of a C#/D box in harmonica form.

For the existing ones, I'd actually say G would be better because it'd have a lower tone overall. Harmonicas get a little squeaky up high IMO; I don't like using my normal D diatonic for tunes as much because you're often in the stratosphere. You do lose some volume/projection, so the C might be better for sessions, but I'd just as soon keep things a little lower on the G.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hohner says they don't have orchestral tuning. Seyleck is out of stock.
Any other chromatic harps out there with it? How important is it for playing in celtic sessions? Appreciate this advice/info. Harmonicas aren't returnable.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You might ask this gentleman in the link below. He plays harmonica in ITM (as well as blues & etc.). While I think he normally uses harmonicas in specific keys, I think he'd know the suitability or not of using a Chromatic instrument.

Mat Walklate:
https://www.matwalklate.co.uk/irish-traditional.html

BTW, you can pick up used Hohner Chromaticas for quite low prices on eBay. I have one my father purchased during WWII, & had it rebuilt/repaired/tuned by a fellow in Northern California. Here's the repair guy I used:
http://www.opendoorprod.com/open-door-h ... a-repairs/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Sorry for not getting back sooner, an Orchestra tuned chromatic has notes below C down to G.

Suzuki is another option, theirs is a 14 hole; & they also do a 16 hole that goes down to the C below the regular C, giving you a Tenor & Standard C in one instrument.

Another option, I think, would be a Tenor/Low C 12 hole, which moves everything down one whole octave; it used to be my favourite, until I found Orchestra tuned.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to all!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Let me put my question this way. I play Irish flute and I play just about everything on it. Celtic, Baroque, blues, jazz, rock..... What key chromatic harmonica comes closest to duplicating the Irish flute? Kind regards
Runarlejou
Tell us something.: I am learning to play the wooden flute, and Irish and Breton trad music. I also play the high and low whistles. My flutes : François Baubet delrin keyless, and Stéphane Morvan blackwood keyless - I'll have to buy a keyed one someday.

Post by Runarlejou »

I think that a G chromatic harmonica comes closest to the Irish flute in D. There is a F# built in, so that you have to use the slider only on the B to get a C natural - which is similar to the C key on the flute. You get the Fnatural from the E by pushing the slider, which is similar to the key fingering on the flute.