Koch Accordions

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
moonlitnarwhal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm hoping to sell a pair of all-new bellows-blown Scottish Smallpipes. I'm hoping that I came to the right place.

Koch Accordions

Post by moonlitnarwhal »

Hello!
I'm looking to purchase my first single row button accordion and found a fine looking vintage Koch for sale. The seller doesn't know the origins of the instrument or even its tuning, but claims that the bellows are tight and all buttons work... the price would likely be between $150 to $200+ (depending on if he accepts a more modest amount...).

My questions for you all are: does anyone have experience with these boxes? Are they known to be quality instruments? Do they tend to be tuned to a similar key or are there a wide range of tunings (as in most accordions...)? Finally, would this potentially be a decent choice for a complete beginner (living in Hawaii with absolutely no accordion players that I know of and certainly no repair shops for many thousands of miles)? I mostly just want to make up songs and play around the fire, but I would love to learn some tunes too and I really want to buy a quality box (and live the vintage instruments...).

Thank you all for any advice you have to offer! I know this isn't much to go on, but I don't think I can post a photo at this time. Lastly, I'm also considering some Pokerwork-era Hohner instruments, in C or C/F, just so you know my alternatives....

Many thanks to you all!

Rich