It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:38 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
... for now ...

I am about to start re-indexing the search function. This takes a very long time - usually days - and is made even slower if anybody, that is, anybody at all, tries to use the Search function.

So, please don't use it until I say you can.

I promise it will be worth it. Well, at least it should be. The Search function ceases to be effective after a while, at which point, I need to re-index the database. Then it usually works fine for some months.

So bear with me!

Oh, and don't bother me ... this process stresses me out ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:55 am 

Thank you.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:56 am 

Oh good grief! At the current rate of progress, the re-indexing process will take approximately 100 hours! I kid you not. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 pm 

Chaps. Someone is using the 'Search' function. Firstly, it won't work at the moment. Secondly, it has cut the rate of progress of re-indexing, such that, at the current rate, the re-indexing will now take over 200 hours. If everybody doesn't get out of 'Search' immediately, I will permanently disable it. It would be much better if I didn't have to do that, but I'm afraid I have a life to lead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 pm 

If it's possible to disable 'Search' while you do this, surely that's the way to go? After all, anyone can search (including guests who've never registered or even read the boards) and your request not to simply can't influence those who've not seen it.

Some old stuff, written and played by me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:24 pm 

Peter Duggan wrote:
If it's possible to disable 'Search' while you do this, surely that's the way to go? After all, anyone can search (including guests who've never registered or even read the boards) and your request not to simply can't influence those who've not seen it.

Great minds. I had come to the conclusion that this is what I needed to do. I have now done this. It does seem a shame to me that I have to forbid people from doing something when I've asked nicely. I just don't seem to be able to rely on user cooperation. I will reactivate the Search function when I'm good and ready.

And no, the 'Search' function inherent in the Board software is only available to members, not anyone else. Other searches don't matter at all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:31 pm 

benhall.1 wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:

Great minds. I had come to the conclusion that this is what I needed to do. I have now done this. It does seem a shame to me that I have to forbid people from doing something when I've asked nicely. I just don't seem to be able to rely on user cooperation. I will reactivate the Search function when I'm good and ready.

And no, the 'Search' function inherent in the Board software is only available to members, not anyone else. Other searches don't matter at all.

I'm afraid that the way I've had to do it has disabled the 'View unread posts' and various other standard Board processes as well. But there's really no helping it. All I needed was for people not to use 'Search'. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm 

Already noted it's taken off the 'View' links, which is fair enough since they're part of search.php and I was still avoiding them even after being told they were probably OK. But you can normally see the 'Search' button while logged out, which is why I flagged it up as usable by non-members (unless you've changed the permissions there)...

https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=test

(Hmmm, that one's 'powered by Google Custom Search'... let me see if I can find another regular one!)

http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/search.php?keywords=major+lift

(Yes, never been there before, but Google can now pick up that URL because I've posted it here. And so on...)

Some old stuff, written and played by me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 pm 

Sorry, didn't realize that View New Posts was utilizing the Search function as well. I was avoiding using Search.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm 
Moderatorer

kkrell wrote:
Sorry, didn't realize that View New Posts was utilizing the Search function as well. I was avoiding using Search.

No, Ben already said that although View functions fall under the Search category, using them doesn't pose a problem. It's only using the Search function proper that poses the problem. Same genus, different species. It's just that when he shut down the Search function, the View functions automatically went with it, so there's not a lot to be done about that. It'll all be back up again before you know it. This, however, will not be Ben's perception of events, so be good to him. :)

"An anti-lunacy gadget would be nice..." - Nano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 am 

Dammit! See, here's a case in point. I had to go out, and it was slightly trying getting out of the house - I was going in one direction, taking my son back home and making sure he took everything of his with him, and Deb was, at the same time, heading off to play in a concert (Elijah, I think). And I absentmindedly shut the lid of my laptop*. Now, I've managed to get back to where I was in the re-indexing, so I haven't lost the progress made up to about 1:00 pm today (UK time) but I have lost any progress I might have made in the last two and a half hours. When it takes this long, every delay is a frustration. :(

*There is, I'm afraid, no guarantee that the process will continue in any case, when it's not being watched, but at least leaving the laptop switched on and active helps, and mostly works.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:35 pm 
Moderatorer

benhall.1 wrote:
And I absentmindedly shut the lid of my laptop.

I'm sitting here imagining how you blued the air over that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:45 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
And I absentmindedly shut the lid of my laptop.

I'm sitting here imagining how you blued the air over that one.

It's bloody annoying, it is. :swear:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:09 pm 
Moderatorer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:50 pm 

Next time you do this, go to settings / power management (or similar) and change what happens when you close the lid from "sleep" or "hibernate" to "shut off the display" when you're plugged in, and this won't happen again. Don't do it in the midst because it might mean a reboot. It sounds like this might have been an issue last time, too. In fact, if you're the habit of doing long-running stuff (compilations or downloads, etc) in the background, it's a good thing to do anyway. It'll stop windows from joggling your elbow like that again.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis