Traditional music on harmonica?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Traditional music on harmonica?

Post by AuLoS303 »

I always associate the harmonica or mouth organ to blues music, which I like, but I'm a little surprised to see them mentioned on here, a site which I associate with traditional music. What is the history of such music on the harmonica?
I have one myself but I'm not much of a player.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Traditional music on harmonica?

Post by s1m0n »

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Other players who have some traditional music on Harmonica:

Mat Walklate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olz5KagboQ

and of course, the famous Rick Epping , simultaneously on harmonica and concertina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYshw3so1Sk

Here he is at a Willie Clancy Week recital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pblihf1 ... 335B21C9DC

and with Mick Kinsella in Hollywood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcmKQWSVfU

John Murphy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giclytaQ7rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhxdf-yvUNo

Mary Brogan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljAprR9gg9A
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ah a chromatic with the slide. My brother had a similar one years ago
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

There's not a lot to hear, but you could do worse than search "harmonica" and "itm harmonica" on this site.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Brendan Power also does a lovely job on The Bucks here. He's playing a blues harp on this clip.
Last edited by s1m0n on Tue May 09, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:Brendan Power also does a lovely job on The Bucks here.
Brendan Power does a lovely job on everything.

Great link there, s1m0n. :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Brendan Power does a lovely job on everything.
Sort of interesting though he turned up for the Willie Clancy harmonica recital last year. All players present, John & Pip Murphy, Rick Epping, Mick Kinsella, Johny Hehir, Noel Battle, were playing together a lot of the time, making up sets of tunes on the spot. Brendan sat there smiling, looking slightly awkward and not playing like he didn't know the tunes. It was a bit strange.

Johnny Hehir, Brendan Power, Noel Battle
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote:..;.while Brendan sat there smiling and looking slightly awkward not playing like he didn't know the tunes.
Yeah. I think he's a soloist. I don't think he came from session culture, and I don't think he's comfortable - or, frankly, competent - jamming ad lib with other musicians. If you think that's the core skill in ITM (and you're not entirely wrong), than you likely have no time for him.

I think he plays so many different harps, and tunings, that everything he does is painstakingly arranged.

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

you likely have no time for him
It's not a matter of not having time or regard for his playing, it just surprised me. The awkwardness of it, all the lads were playing away and he just sat there, doing his solo pieces when called upon but never joining in. It's not a matter of unusual tunes being played or anything like and he has recorded with Rick&Mick in Iron Lung so there must be a common repertoire there.
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I suspect that what he does with others is well rehearsed, but I don't know anything. I owned his first record and played it a lot, but know little else about his playing. I do know that he didn't grow up in the tradition.

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yeah. I'm sure that's the sort of gig in which BP is least useful. I don't think he can play much at all impromptu, but playing en ensemble is only about a century old in the tradition. Before that, musicians usually played solo, and often it was a well-prepared party-piece played before the kitchen fire. Think of Power in that tradition. He's not a session musician, and there's small point in judging him as one. That's not what he is.

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Am I crazy, or did you just delete a post while I was responding to it?

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Am I crazy, or did you just delete a post while I was responding to it?
I thought I was straying into my own experiences too much and thought the better of it.
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote: I thought I was straying into my own experiences too much and thought the better of it.
Fair enough. I've done the same.

C.S. Lewis