Woodwind or Mando-family teachers in Indiana?

Post here if you are looking for a music teacher or if you want to make yourself available to accept students. See the Guidelines before posting.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Woodwind or Mando-family teachers in Indiana?

Post by Sirchronique »

Hello!

I would really enjoy finding somebody in the southern Indiana region who could give me a few lessons and pointers to assist me in improving my ornamentation, learn more tunes, and guide me through the tunes I already know to help me with my overall sound which needs improving.

Any flute, whistle, low whistle, or mandolin/octave mandolin/bouzouki/mandola players who are in the southern indiana region (around daviess county/amish country :p ) , I would really enjoy to learn from, before I leave the country in some months.

Anyone within 1 hour or so of driving distance from Daviess County, I'd be happy to meet and play some tunes with and hopefully learn a bit from!

I will likely be starting some lessons soon over skype with a good player, however, I'd also like to find someone with which to play in person!

Thanks
MTGuru

Re: Woodwind or Mando-family teachers in Indiana?

Post by MTGuru »

You might want to check with Grey Larsen in Bloomington for leads.

http://www.greylarsen.com/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Ah thanks! I lived in Bloomington for 2 1/2 years while I was going to college, so I am familiar with the area. I really like that city a lot, too. I will certainly check with him. Thanks for the info!

Bloomington is roughly an hour north of where I live, but certainly not out of my range. I'm farther south, in the middle of nowhere :p .
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Sure, Sir C. I know driving the backroads there can be slow (I lived in Bloomington, too). But might be worthwhile since there are trad musicians there to take advantage of. Good luck!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I don't know how current the listings are here, but, you might inquire within for some help. Wait a moment to load info. Click on the tabs, then click over the dots for contacts. Geez, every state should do this.
Good luck with your search.
http://folktraditions.com/#
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

We're farther east of you in Louisville, but you're welcome to come up anytime. If Evansville is closer (not sure where Daviess Co. IN is ... or do you mean Daviess, KY?), there are some good flute and mandolin players down there. I think at least one fellow from Evansville is coming to Louisville for our session this Sunday.

There's also a topnotch piper and whistle player in Bowling Green, KY.

Feel free to PM me for info on either scene :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Aha, I just looked at a map. Cartography is a beautiful thing.

Send a note to Tintin on this board. He's a dandy flute & whistle player, and he'll hook you up with some fiddle/mandolin/banjaxists, too. They have lovely music in Evansville.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Thanks I'll do that!

I have some family in bowling green KY, it might be a bit out of my range.

Evansville is about the same distance as bloomington, but in a different direction. I'm 30 minutes from vincinnes.

I will write Tintin about that soon. I think he might even come around the session in washington.

I also want to post an update about what I'm looking for-

I am about to have a set of uilleann pipes, and I'd really like to find as many contacts around this area who play them as possible.

I will definitely check out the sessions in both bloomington and evansville! Thanks for writing!

The whistle/flute/pipes players are actually a much higher priority for me than mandolin teachers. For some reason I seem to progress very quickly and learn things very very easily... but whistle is just a difficult instrument for me. Seems with most people it's the other way around, but I started with stringed instruments when I was a lot younger, so it comes a bit more easily to me.

If I can't find any pipers closer, I might even consider maybe making a trip to bowling green. You are welcome to PM me with details, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,