Any tin whistle classes or teachers near DC?

Post here if you are looking for a music teacher or if you want to make yourself available to accept students. See the Guidelines before posting.
whistle_beginner_83
antispam: No

Any tin whistle classes or teachers near DC?

Post by whistle_beginner_83 »

Hi All

I'm going to be moving to the Silver Spring area of Maryland, not too far from Washington DC. I was wondering if anyone knows of any classes or teachers in the area. I'm having difficulties finding any and I don't want to stop learning the tin whistle.

I'm desperate!

Thank you.
fearfaoin

Re: Any tin whistle classes or teachers near DC?

Post by fearfaoin »

I learned from Laura Byrne Egan of Baltimore Irish Arts.
It's probably about 40mins up 95 from Silver Spring.
http://baltimoreirisharts.com/
She'll do private lessons, or you can do the group
lessons from BIA, which are very cheap!

If that's too far to drive, you could email them and ask.
Laura might know of a closer teacher... But she's a good
one herself, if you can get up there!
MoonDragn

Post by MoonDragn »

Hmm are there any teachers closer to Frederick MD than Baltimore? I live between Mt. Airy and Urbana and would love to find a good teacher.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Hello, I checked House of Musical Traditions website and currently they have 2 whistle teachers on their list.

http://www.hmtrad.com

I checked this a few days ago. One teacher was in Northern VA and the other was in Silver Spring, MD.

Plus House of Musical Traditions is a very nice music store with many different types of ethnic instruments, guitars, etc.

They are pretty nice to deal with. They are in Takoma Park, MD.

Thanks, Tin
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
MoonDragn

Post by MoonDragn »

I tried to email Laura Egan and so far no reply. The website doesn't list any of the spring classes yet.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Pennywhistle Irish Elise Kress $55 - 1 hour Arlington
Irish and classical flute, Irish pennywhistle

Elise Kress has been a professional flute player and singer for over 25 years. Elise's concert appearances include performances at the Kennedy Center, Strathmore Hall, the Philadelphia Folk Festival, the Birchmere, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Corcoran Gallery of Art. She has studied Irish flute with Chris Norman, Cathal McConnell, and Kevin Crawford, and classical flute with Penelope Fischer, former president of the National Flute Association. Elise's recording with the band MoonFire, Past, Present and Future, won Best Celtic Album of the Year.

Students at all levels are welcome. Please visit her website at www.celticweddingmusic.com for sound samples.

Private lessons are $55 per hour, and are held in Alexandria, VA. Please call (301)270-9090 or contact the lessons coordinator by email.

Pennywhistle Irish Wendy Morrison $50 - 1 hour Silver Spring
Piano accordion, English concertina, pennywhistle

Performing, recording, and teaching since 1978, Wendy enjoys teaching adults and children. She is accomplished in various instrumental styles, including Appalachian Old Time, New England contradance, Irish, Scandinavian, and Klezmer. Wendy played whistles and concertina on the CD "Celtic Consort," and has been a guest musician on numerous other commercial recordings. She has conducted workshops at Maryland Banjo Academy, the Washington Folk Festival, FSGW minifest, Takoma Park Folk Festival, Northeast Concertina Workshop, and elsewhere.

Wendy has appeared over the years with several DC area Irish, old-time, and contra-dance bands, and currently performs with Klezmos and Klezcentricity. She authored the book, "Pretty Complete Guide to Squeezeboxes." (currently out of print)

Private lessons are $50.00 for 1 hour (or $25.00 per half hour for children under 12) and are held at the instructor's home in Silver Spring, MD. Contact Wendy by email -- klezmer "at" comcast.net

Hi I hope this helps......Tin-titan - hope this lightens
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."