USA, New York, Long Island, Teacher Wanted, Whistle

Post here if you are looking for a music teacher or if you want to make yourself available to accept students. See the Guidelines before posting.
hobbsm

USA, New York, Long Island, Teacher Wanted, Whistle

Post by hobbsm »

Looking for teacher in Nassau or Western Suffolk area. Meredith
Irish Marine
antispam: No

Teacher

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Meredith-I just saw your post from 2006 about looking for a teacher on Long Island. I'm looking for one as well (I live in Ridge, near Shoreham) and was wondering whether you found anyone? Thanks.
~Sean

Edit: Oops. Meant to hit PM button and send an email. Sorry!
hobbsm

found teacher

Post by hobbsm »

Hi Sean,

I just found a teacher myself, but have not contacted him yet. His name is Brendan Dolan at 917-952-6045. I think that's his cell phone. I got his name from the Irish American Hall in Mineola. They have him listed on their website as a tin whistle teacher. I am going to try to contact him this week.

I haven't found anyone else on LI. There is a teacher in NYC. He only gives classes in the evenings during the week. He does have these 2 hour workshops every once and a while on a Sunday. I don't have his info, but do get emails when he schedules a workshop.

Good Luck!

Meredith
Irish Marine

LI Teacher

Post by Irish Marine »

Meredith-Thank you so much for the info. It was very nice of you to take the time out to get it to me. Best of luck and Happy New Year.
hobbsm

Post by hobbsm »

Hi Sean -

I just received the email below about a tin Whistle instructor. He is in NYC. I don't know if this is helpful. Were you able to contact the instructor in Mineola?

Regards,

Meredith

Dear friends,

I will resume my full teaching schedule on Monday, January 14th, offering a range of Irish tin whistle classes, as well as private instruction on tin whistle, uilleann pipes and the Irish flute.

In addition to lessons at my studio on W. 46th Street, I now give lessons via webcam and/or phone using Skype, the free internet calling software. My hours are Monday to Thursday from 4:00 to 10:00 PM. My fee is $45 for a 45-minute private lesson. I teach students of all levels, from beginning to advanced.

My group tin whistle classes at the Irish Arts Center will start on Tuesday, January 22nd. I will offer Beginner, Advanced Beginner and Intermediate classes this winter at the IAC. For a description of my IAC classes, see:

http://pennywhistle.com/iacclassinfo.html

I will also offer advanced tin whistle group classes at my studio, starting on Monday, January 14th. Please contact me for details about advanced classes.

And last but not least, I am giving a free tin whistle workshop for Absolute Beginners and Advanced Beginners this Sunday, January 13th, at the Irish Arts Center from 2:00 to 4:30. Details here:

http://pennywhistle.com/iacclassinfo.html#twday

If you'd like to attend the workshop, please email me to make a reservation.

Sincerely,

Bill Ochs

Web: www.pennywhistle.com
E-mail: billochs@pennywhistle.com
Address: 467 W, 46th St., NYC
Phone: 212.247.3231

To have your name removed from this list, please reply to this message with the word "Remove" in the subject line.
Irish Marine

Instructor

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Meredith-Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it very much. I haven't contacted the instructor in Mineola. I've heard wonderful things about Bill Ochs. I'd love to take classes with him, but I can't get into NYC on a regular basis with both my wife and I working and a 1-1/2 year old at home :D I may have to take Bill up on his Skype classes when I can. Thanks for that info-I didn't realize he did that. BTW, the Irish Arts Center is a great little location. I was there in July, and took a flute lesson with Kevin Crawford: phenomenal teacher and player. Cillian Vallely also taught tin whistle in the a.m. and uilleann pipes in the p.m. Take a class there if you can.

~Sean
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Brendan Dolan

Post by Latticino »

I took a week long beginner whistle class with Brendan at the E. Durham festival. He is a wonderful teacher and a very patient gentleman. He also teaches at the advanced level, so I can unreservedly recommend him if you are lucky enough to tie him down long enough to get lessons.
christelrice
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

whistle teacher

Post by christelrice »

Hello,
I am a teacher living in Rockaway, Queens. Please contact me if you are interested in a lesson I teach wooden flute and whistle. If you want more information, please contact me anytime. Thanks!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: whistle teacher

Post by MTGuru »

stell213 wrote:I am a teacher living in Rockaway, Queens.
I think this is Christel Rice: http://cuezonerecords.com/cuzonecollective/rice.html
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
christelrice
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

whistle classes in Rockaway, Queens

Post by christelrice »

Greetings everyone,

I will be teaching a tin whistle class in Rockaway, Queens on Tuesdays at 6:30pm starting November 11. This class is for adults who are comfortable playing the scales of D and G major on the whistle. As we will be learning all tunes by ear, it is helpful to bring a small tape recording device to record the tunes.
I have studied with Shannon Heaton, based in Boston, Mass. and Mike Rafferty, of Hasbrouck Heights, Nj. originally from Galway, Ireland.

Classes: Tuesdays 6:30-7:30pm (starting November 11)
Price: $10 a class
Website: http://www.cuezonerecords.com/cuzonecol ... /rice.html
Contact: christel@cuezonerecords.com or call me 609-220-3083