Anyone know of Tin Whistle lessons in Pennsylvania??

Post here if you are looking for a music teacher or if you want to make yourself available to accept students. See the Guidelines before posting.
JPH
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone know of Tin Whistle lessons in Pennsylvania??

Post by JPH »

I bought my daughter a tin whistle who is 8 years old and when I tried it, I liked it so much I bought myself one. We were interested in lessons and live in Montgomery County Pennsylvania and it seems impossible to find tin whistle instructors anywhere. Can anyone point us in the right direction or does anyone know anyone who gives lessons in our area. It would be greatly appreciated. We have whistles in the key of D and know the basic notes and are now going to attempt to teach ourselves how to read music. We thought this process could be easier if we had lessons. Thanks guys! Jim!
Ron Jarvis

Whistle Instructions

Post by Ron Jarvis »

JPH,

Welcome to the world of whistles. I am very new myself, but am fortunate to live just 3 miles from a past Irish National Champion. I am able to study with him.

You will have lots of messages soon. In case you don't know, there are some excellent whistle sites that include audio/video clips on everything from How to Hold the Whistle to Advanced Ornatations. Here's a few to consider:

www.whistletutor.com - left hand side of home page shows all the sections

www.whistlethis.com - this site includes 9 or 10 lessons. It also has Current Tune and Previous Tunes which is a section for anyone to listen to others (mentors and hopefuls of all degrees) who have uploaded a sample of their play of the Current Tune and past (Previous) Current Tunes.

www.rogermillington.com and select Brother Steves tin Whistle Pages. Includes audio clips of each instruction item and various speeds.

So, all are great sites in my opinion. There's a wealth of informaiton, especially for someone in your position.

After trying some, don't forget to consider making a donation to help these guys keep the sites going. Some of these sites are doing well if one donates just $10 a year and would be very grateful.. Please do not misunderstand - I'm NOT giving a commercial message here, just suggesting what may be the right thing to do if it goes well and you are in a position to provide something.

Best of luck to you and your "family" of whistle players.

Ron
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by awildman »

Often the best way to find a teacher in your area is to go to a local session. Ask the musicians if they know a whistle teacher. If you don't know where the sessions are held, ask around at Irish pubs. Somebody is bound to know something. You're not too far from Philly, right? No doubt if you're willing to drive a bit you'll find someone.

Around here(Oregon), there is a Folk Music Shop(Artichoke Music) that is the center in the city for much of the traditional happenings. If you can find something like that, it might also help.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Jim,

There's a beginner's session held every 4th Friday (and a regular session I believe every Friday) at the:

Philadelphia Irish Center (The Commodore Barry Club) 6815 Emlen Street Philadelphia, PA 19119 for info: www.philadelphiaceiligroup.org

And a regular session on Tues nights at The Shanachie Pub in Ambler:
www.shanachiepub.com/

I'm sure the beginner's session would be open to you and your daughter, or you probably would be able to find a teacher with those contacts.

There's also a session in or near Lambertville, NJ, depending on your location. If you want the link, just let me know and I'll find it for you.

Welcome, and have fun!
~~~~
Barry
Denny

Post by Denny »

MediaWhistle

whistle lessons in PA

Post by MediaWhistle »

I teach private tin whistle lessons in my home in Media, Delaware County, PA and also in Hockessin, DE.

See my web site www.marykaymann.com for more info.

Mary Kay