Riley's School of Irish Music

Post here if you are looking for a music teacher or if you want to make yourself available to accept students. See the Guidelines before posting.
westonm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hey! I'm interested in tin whistles and traditional irish and celtic music. It's an exciting opportunity to explore the scotch-irish roots of my family as well as play some old Civil War era tunes.

Riley's School of Irish Music

Post by westonm »

I live in the Cincinnati area and found this website: http://www.rileyirishmusic.com

Do any of you have experience with Riley's School? Or know anyone who has? Seems like it would be a great time had by all, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

FYI I'm a complete newbie
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Riley's School of Irish Music

Post by AaronFW »

Seeing that no one else has answered yet...

I'd say try it.

I recognize the names of the two flute instructors. Dave Copley hangs around here on C&F and the name John Skelton is familiar.

Dave Copley also teaches the Whistle 2 class, according to the schedule.

Maybe try sending Dave Copley a Private Message or email and ask him what he thinks of Riley's School?
awildman

Post by awildman »

What is the alternative? Irish music is a niche hobby, and most Midwest/West cities aren't exactly overflowing with teachers and related social activities.

Instruction? Check. Opportunity to make musical friends and play with others? Check. Lots of us do not have such an opportunity. Grab hold with both hands and jump on in, IMO.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:...the name John Skelton is familiar.
He can play a bit. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8We2WP2T6o
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
AaronFW wrote:...the name John Skelton is familiar.
He can play a bit. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8We2WP2T6o
Frankly, opportunities to learn with a teacher like John Skelton are not to be missed.

See his discography at thesession.org:
https://thesession.org/recordings/search?q=John+Skelton

He was also a member of THE HOUSE BAND, and was on a number of their CDs.

His own solo recordings are well worth having, but I especially enjoy the ones with Kieran O'Hare - lots of duets on flute & whistle.

Dave Copley is also a well-known flute maker, and shouldn't have any problem handling the beginners.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
westonm
Tell us something.: Hey! I'm interested in tin whistles and traditional irish and celtic music. It's an exciting opportunity to explore the scotch-irish roots of my family as well as play some old Civil War era tunes.

Post by westonm »

Wow, I didn't realize some of the instructors were so well known.

Btw, I did sign up, classes begin a week from tomorrow, weather permitting
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I would consider signing up, but Cincinnati is a bit far for me to drive. Hope the weather cooperates, and you enjoy the courses.
westonm

Post by westonm »

Saturday was the first day of the winter semester and I have to say I was really impressed. Everyone was very nice and laid back. I guess its because everyone was there for the same reasons: to learn and participate in the tradition. I learned a lot in class, and learned almost as much talking with people after class. There were impromptu bands playing before and after lunch, which is aided by the fact that all classes learn the same songs for the most part (on their respective instruments).

Singer Brian Hart did some unaccompanied irish singing. He's the only American to ever win at All-Ireland Fleadh in men's singing. That was also very interesting and the first time I'd heard that done live.

Overall I highly recommend it to anyone who is within reasonable distance, I drive about 40 minutes to get there but I'd happily drive twice that to participate