Folk Metal and other such stuff

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Jäger
antispam: No

Re: Folk Metal and other such stuff

Post by Jäger »

s1m0n wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the bombarde was metal before there was metal.
It was indeed. The most metal instrument ever in my book.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

koktach wrote: ... never even got the wierd connection between the faschist ideas and so called "pagan" metal.
Wagner.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

It's more about Vikings, I guess... "Pagan"-metal is very much about "Blood, Pride & Glory", so it quite often turns into the direction "Our nation/region/culture/religion/race is superior to any other" - that's where the NS-part starts. Also, very often these bands love to use the swastica ("Arkona" would be one example...), like the Nazis. I find it kinda strange, remembering what the Nazis did and how they thought in WW2 about the people of Eastern Europe... :boggle:
Shows me, these NS-pagan-metall-people have no clue about history...
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
Black Rose

Post by Black Rose »

Yeah, I don't know. Don't know where to start. Nordic Roots or Celtic Hip Hop. Have a listen to the crap I play for orientation:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=639235&T=7974

http://www.myspace.com/blackroseroisindubh

You'll have to register at acidplanet.com to download but it's free and quality .mp3 files if you're interested.
Sigs are a waste of bandwidth
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Celtpastor wrote:It's more about Vikings, I guess... "Pagan"-metal is very much about "Blood, Pride & Glory", so it quite often turns into the direction "Our nation/region/culture/religion/race is superior to any other" - that's where the NS-part starts. Also, very often these bands love to use the swastica ("Arkona" would be one example...), like the Nazis. I find it kinda strange, remembering what the Nazis did and how they thought in WW2 about the people of Eastern Europe... :boggle:
Shows me, these NS-pagan-metall-people have no clue about history...
That's quite widespread is eastern Europe when it comes to metal, the polish band Sunwheel used to be called Swastyka, and several others, like Nokturnal Mortum use/have used nazi-iconography and claimed to have such sympathies as well.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Dana DiAnda
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana DiAnda »

fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

No one mentioned Inextremo?! loads on you tube. 3 pipers, harpist and a heavy sound. Plenty of theatrics too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUrJBvK ... re=related
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
NeonVomit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by NeonVomit »

Korpiklaani haven't received enough attention in this thread.

They're somewhat silly, but their music makes for great party stuff.

The Hunting Song - pretty unforgettable

Wooden Pints - starring a gorgeous fiddle solo

Beer Beer - yes, most of their songs are about drinking

Let's Drink - see above. Features some nice whistle playing.

Happy Little Boozer - somewhat more manic than their other songs

The thing about these guys (and most folk metal bands in general) that you have to keep in mind is that they're a heavy metal band first, and a folk group second. They play heavy metal and add the folk stuff on top. If you take out the folk instruments you'll still have some decent guitar-based music. They use a lot of folky chord progressions and modes, but ultimately they're a metal band and won't let you forget it.

Also hailing from Finland are Moonsorrow who I don't think have been mentioned at all (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Essentially, Moonsorrow are the reason I became interested in folk music. They're like the aforementioned Korpiklaani mixed with John Williams, giving a really epic, symphonic take on folk metal. The growling vocals might be too much for some people, and it doesn't help that unless you're a fluent speaker of Finnish, it's unlikely you'll understand what on earth they're singing about. It's still great stuff if you're okay with that sort of thing. Some of their material is utterly breathtaking.

To ease you in, here's a beautiful folk tune, no metal, entitled Kaiku that was the outro track on their album Verisäkeet.

Good stuff, huh?

Now onto their metal:
Sankarihauta is one of my favourite songs ever... majestic and epic in every way.

Sankaritarina is less folky and more epic, but you have to respect any metal band that can actually make a jaw harp sound cool. This sort of stuff has had a huge influence on my band. I think the lyrics have something to do about warriors going to heaven, or somesuch thing. In any case, the music says it all really.

And here's a pretty awesome cover they did of For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica, who as far as I know don't have any folk influences (although it has been rumoured that Lars Ulrich is, in fact, a leprechaun.)

And another band worth looking at are Alestorm. They're Scottish, and sing about pirates. To be fair, I think they're more about the gimmick of pirates and stuff, but they do have some lovely sounding melodies and progressions, plus you can't beat them for sheer fun.

Song titles include Keelhauled which actually includes the lyric 'Keelhaul that filthy landlubber, send him down to the depths below/ Make that basmati walk the plank with a bottle of rum and a Yo-Ho-Ho' as a chorus.

Wenches & Mead describes their agenda accurately enough.

And finally, here's them interpreting Flower of Scotland. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

So there was NeonVomit's guide to Folk Metal. Not bad for a second post!
Stealing ideas from one source is called plagiarism. Stealing from several is called research.

Check out my band, Winter's Verge. Not for the faint-hearted.