Italian Neo-Zampogna folkfusiongroups

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Italian Neo-Zampogna folkfusiongroups

Post by CHasR »

who else has ever heard :
Tratturo, Lino Miniscalo& Pietro Ricci, Nico Berardi, Franco Izzi, Orazio Corsaro....
Isnt this stuff fantastic?
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Italian Neo-Zampogna folkfusiongroups

Post by Cynth »

CHasR wrote:who else has ever heard :
Tratturo, Lino Miniscalo& Pietro Ricci, Nico Berardi, Franco Izzi, Orazio Corsaro....
Do you have any links you can post?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Cynth wrote:
CHasR wrote:who else has ever heard :
Do you have any links you can post?
Yes, I found the website for Il Tratturo. They are really outstanding.
This is the page you can go to to hear quite a number of really good sound clips:
http://www.tratturo.net/content/view/37/79/lang,it/

You can't (I think) get the sound clips on the English version of the website, so this is to the rest of the website in English:
http://www.tratturo.net/component/optio ... 1/lang,en/

ImageImage
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

yes they were (are)really at the forefront of the revival by Circolo Della Zampogna <www.zampogna.org> (thats me on the front page, not the little fresco guy, but the antique looking pic to the right)

C.D.Z. 's recent DVD has some clips of them when they first started out+ you can really hear them take hold of the style in subsequent years...

Lino's zampogna is really unique, too, with the ability to play d-eb-e-f (f#?) on the drone, &an extra hi E on the right hand chanter.

What's really captivating when watching the DVD is that one can literally hear improvements in the zampogna and its playing since the Circolo's inception.

Nico Berardi (has) had this trio of Zampogna/ double bass + vibraphone (bag, bass + drum ensemble) ...who wouldve thought that would work!??!
But its a great sound!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That's a nice website---the Circolo della Zampogna:
http://www.zampogna.org/italian/home.html#

For those who are interested, if you look for the word "Filmati" on the home page and then click "La Zampogna", there is a nice little video there. The first part is speaking in Italian and a view of the mountains, but if you wait then some nice close-ups of traditional (I believe) playing are shown along with a bit of dancing.

Also, the link to a Sardinian (I believe) zampogna website is quite good with a video and very nice photos. The video is very tiny but the music is very good. Haven't checked the other links yet.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Wow, they play music on those ice-smoothin' machines. Kewl.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

ha, ha, ha,...if I had a nickel... :D
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

I met (and played with) zampognaro Pietro Ricci (of Isernia) at the Scapoli Festa in 1996,
I heard the extra notes (played with his thumb) on his back drone.
Pietro does a very nice chord progression with it, chording under Mauro Gioelli's Piffaro playing.
Mauro is the man without an instrument in the photo above,
I guess he wanted to show us his singing gestures?
Mauro is a good Piffari and Singer (AND he compiled a book of Bagpipe folk-tales entitled: "Il Zampogna Fatata"="The Fateful Bagpipe" OR
"The Bagpipe of Fate"... you choose which title-trans. you prefer).
There was a really good member of their group who played Accordion,
but he's not in the current line-up, too bad, I liked his playing.
"Il Tratturo" was very much the "Super-Group" of the 1996 Festa.
Orazio Corsaro's Sicilian Chiramedda mixed in with the Jazz band
(I don't remember the group's name) was not that great, in my opinion, how-some-ever... I respect the attempt, and the spirit in which it was made.
It's a fact that I used to play Jazz and Rock on my Saxes,
so my problem with Euro-Jazz in general, is that it doesn't "Swing",
and Euro-Rock doesn't "ROCK".
I think it has to do with the "Classical" music training most European musicians undergo...and it makes for a much more intellectual approach
to playing music of any kind (including their own folk music).
Now, there are many European musicians who pay their dues, spending time in the USA, playing with, and getting exposed to, OUR Music and Musicians.
The same is true of us U.S.A.er's, learning Euro-folk traditions (of course...and it's also the "been-to's" problem of respect, "HAVE YOU BEEN TO ?" this or that country). There's always a dispute about "When, Where, and How Much".. could you learn from "Whoever" it was who was your mentor.
I have to add: Pietro Ricci IS a professional music teacher, and he plays
Piano (and electronic key board with the group), as well as other modern instruments.
Even more impressive is the fact that, he also makes his own Zampogna, that he plays solo, or with the group (his Zampogna is made in a kind of "Danish Modern" wood-working style).
In CONCLUSION...you gotta take your chances with FUSION, some-times it really WORKS !
So keep at it...YOU MUSICIANS !!!
Sean Folsom
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...ever heard about "La Riserva Moac"? They do - well - what is it? Scapoli-style post-punk-pop with lots of Zampogna and Ciarramella - just fun!
http://www.riservamoac.com/
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!