Klezmer Bluegrass fusion

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Klezmer Bluegrass fusion

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yes it exists. I haven't heard it yet but here's a link.

to Margot Leverett and the Klezmer Mountain Boys

Margot is an outstanding clarinet player. I've got another of her CDs. Sadly all the sample tracks are in Real format. Totally inexcusable.

I'm going to order this ASAP.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thanks for the tip FC. This doesn't really surprise me. Klezmer seems to have been fused with just about everything recently—with rock and jazz by David Krakouer and jazz and chamber music by John Zorn. Much of it seems to work very well to my ears.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

A friend of mine, ironically a Jewish clarinet player, told me that in the early thirties many klezmer artists came to the US and worked in the Big Band era. He said you can hear the klezmer influence in a lot of Big Band work. I'd like to try to dig some up.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

BTW, do you know in which key should a clarinet be (better than other) if I mean to play Klezmer music? I've seen clarinets in different keys, know nothing about them and I'd hate buying the wrong one.

Cheers
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Sylvester wrote:BTW, do you know in which key should a clarinet be (better than other) if I mean to play Klezmer music? I've seen clarinets in different keys, know nothing about them and I'd hate buying the wrong one.

Cheers
I'm only guessing here but I'd say a standard concert clarinet. What's that? Bb I think from memory.

There was a once common earlier system of clarinet that was used in early jazz. It wouldn't surprise me if the early klezmorim used it but I've forgotten the details.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Flyingcursor wrote:A friend of mine, ironically a Jewish clarinet player, told me that in the early thirties many klezmer artists came to the US and worked in the Big Band era. He said you can hear the klezmer influence in a lot of Big Band work. I'd like to try to dig some up.
This is hotly disputed. Benny Goodman obviously comes to mind. Artie Shaw has the right background but doesn't sound as klezmer-influenced to me. The opening gliss to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue sounds to me like pure klezmer but was (apparently) made up by Ross Gorman who was a Gentile. That said, Gorman might have been influenced in his technique by klezmer players; any sane jazz clarinettist would have been listening to Tarras and Brandwein.

Sam Musiker ran an early and successful klezmer-jazz fusion band.
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

Sylvester wrote:
BTW, do you know in which key should a clarinet be (better than other) if I mean to play Klezmer music? I've seen clarinets in different keys, know nothing about them and I'd hate buying the wrong one.

Cheers

I'm only guessing here but I'd say a standard concert clarinet. What's that? Bb I think from memory
Cheers :)
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere