Some things just aren't funny

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Walden wrote: Didn't we have more tornado deaths in Oklahoma than Kansas did?
Probably. We just grow the common, garden-variety domestic tornado, whereas Oklahoma seems to breed the big ones for export.

Oklahoma should play up it's tornados more. That's how Kansas keeps Californians from moving here and ruining the place like they did to Colorado and Idaho and Montana. There's nothing like a swarm of feeding-frenzied Californians to drive up your property values and jack up your insurance rates. (Some would argue that we don't need tornados as a deterrent to immigration now that we have the Kansas State School Board, but I say why take that chance.)

And now we should apologize to carol for hijacking her sensitive and insightful thread about the salubrious effects of Freestyle Acid House Flamenco when liberally applied to angst. (As long as one applies it to the right end of the angst.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Some things just aren't funny

Post by FJohnSharp »

cskinner wrote:You know, I like to think of myself as a good sport. You post stuff about a goofy fusion and, hey, I can have some fun with it. But when you appear to treat Freestyle Acid House Flamenco music with the same frivolity as Twelve Tone Boy Groups, I just have to speak up. Of course there's no way you could know--I reserve a private part of my life that no one, not even dear C&F friends, knows anything about. But wouldn't it at least seem like a POSSIBILITY, Dale, that a fusion as significant, resonant, and meaningful as Freestyle Acid House Flamenco might be the kind of thing that gets a person through the night? I can't tell you how many crises I have endured--with hope and determination, no less--because of the inspiration I have taken from A Guy Called Geraldo's Andalusian Voodoo and other trance-enducing heel-clacking miracles. I don't know--to see this life-transforming music put on display for derision--I just feel so....violated.

Hate to be a buzz kill, but I gotta say what's in my heart.

Carol
This is still my favorite forum.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

gonzo914 wrote:And now we should apologize to carol for hijacking her sensitive and insightful thread about the salubrious effects of Freestyle Acid House Flamenco when liberally applied to angst. (As long as one applies it to the right end of the angst.)
I might would apply an apology to the right end, but Dale deleted the Suppository.
Reasonable person
Walden
fearfaoin

Re: Some things just aren't funny

Post by fearfaoin »

FJohnSharp wrote:This is still my favorite forum.
Agreed. It's like Macy's parade: the traffic is somewhat slow, but the displays are often worth the wait.
Paul Thomas

Errant (not arrant) dangling

Post by Paul Thomas »

Before I begin, let me just say, I'm sorry for what I'm about to do, er, dangle:
gonzo914 wrote:Whenever I am confronted by a gang of punk, streetwise educational editors in a dark street or dead end alley, I pull out a participle and dangle it in front of them to distract them. Then I toss it out into the roadway and make my escape as they pounce on it.
gonzo914 wrote:
Walden wrote:Ever notice that Preparation-H smells an awful lot like ragweed?
You're putting it on wrong.
If properly applied, you shoudn't need a repository for your apology.

Dangling in front of them, he saw the participle as his opportunity (cause? clause? claws?) for escape.

Dangling properly from this thread, we felt that neither the apology nor the particple smelled of ragweed. Used improperly, the education editor pounced on it.

Deleted before it's time, they longed for a proper application of their apologies...
fearfaoin wrote:It's like Macy's parade: the traffic is somewhat slow, but the displays are often worth the wait.
...and at times like a gruesome motorcycle accident at the side of the road, perhaps. Traffic also slow, the display morbidly fascinating.

Whoof, that felt great to get that out of my system. Wasn't that great, guys? Guys? Hey, where'd everybody go...

OK, so I'm not really sorry.

(Smelling of ragweed, forum members pounced upon the arrant pedant.)

Please, someone, make it stop! I...can't...help...myself...arrrggghg
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I participularly like the impish "it's". The errant apostrophe supposited amidst a distracting thicket of displaced clauses, I'm getting a headache. :wink:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

*English Major sense... tingling!*

AHHHH! :boggle: :o :boggle: :o

:cry:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

:wink:
Paul Thomas

Post by Paul Thomas »

scottielvr wrote:I participularly like the impish "it's". The errant apostrophe supposited amidst a distracting thicket of displaced clauses<...>
You are too kind and charitable. Rather than the intentional flaw of the fabled rug-weaver, it is merely an errant finger producing an arrant error--I err, I err (it's off to work I gerr).

Rather than shamefacedly returning to the scene of my badly-worded bacchanalia, I shall instead, equally shamefacedly (can't you just hear the accent on the second-to-last syllable?), leave it there to remind me of my fall, just as apprentices in the Japanese wood-joinery tradition are required to complete the piece upon which a violence of taste or skill has been committed, a reminder for themselves and generations of careless, callow youths to come--using the cheap trick of the ellipsis, I seek to extend this sentence yet further past the bounds of style and good taste, arousing the righteous ire of grammarians the world 'round (note, O grammarians, the impish apostrophe, not accidental (cerebral accident? motorcycle accident?), but an anachronistic jerk of the ganglia dying in the mephitic atmosphere of my cerebellum ( produced by all those putrefying dangled participles)).

Strangled ganglia, post-mortem... = danglia?
Paul Thomas

Post by Paul Thomas »

scottielvr wrote:<...>supposited<...>
Eeewwww. That's just an icky word. It's beneath you.

Une petite apostrophe: It makes one wonder: having supposed, is one ... er ... supposited? Prior to a logical argument with one's proctologist, does one ... wait for it ... take the supposition?

Suppostrophe: a complete and absurd destruction caused by the hijacking of a thread, (about which I feel regret (dare I say feel badly?))wherein I think I know what's going on, but probably don't.

Turn, turn, O Greeks & Romans, look not upon what has been done to your mother tongues.

(Im)properly (De)posited (Apo)logy: Sorry. Sorry again. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Put that in yer collective post-structural pipes & smoke 'em. Except that, Ceçi n'est pas une pipe, says Foucault.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Paul Thomas wrote:Put that in yer collective post-structural pipes & smoke 'em. Except that, Ceçi n'est pas une pipe, says Foucault.
Oooh, Foucault. I like his pendulum, especially when some goober walks by and gets hit; the sound of the impact really Eco's.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Paul Thomas wrote:
scottielvr wrote:<...>supposited<...>
Eeewwww. That's just an icky word. It's beneath you.
...what? And no comment upon "participularly"? Dang. I'd thought my work here was done.
(dare I say feel badly?))
No; you do not.
Put that in yer collective post-structural pipes & smoke 'em. Except that, Ceçi n'est pas une pipe, says Foucault.
...and anyway, it's long past dinner time here in the South, and Magrittes are getting cold.

:wink:
Last edited by scottielvr on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

jsluder wrote:Oooh, Foucault. I like his pendulum, especially when some goober walks by and gets hit; the sound of the impact really Eco's.
:lol: :lol: