Elemental Ragtime by Mystified

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Elemental Ragtime by Mystified

Post by Cynth »

Mystified - Elemental Ragtime
http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-deta ... onid=wh026
"Leading-edge electronica artist Mystified has released a second solo collection on Webbed Hand. These dark ambient soundscapes are collectively known as "Elemental Ragtime."

Deep listening indeed, these tracks are constructed solidly within the Musique Concrete style, deriving as source material vintage tape samples and fragments from other old audio sources.

Thomas Park, the sole proprietor of Mystified, brings into his work equal doses of illbient, minimal, industrial, ambient, experimental, and a handful of other esoteric styles, and to good effect. This is excellent headphones-in-the-dark music, but you might feel equally comfortable taking it for a drive through city and country.

You can visit The Mystified homepage for more information and to meet the man behind the magic.

For more info about this release and the label behind it, visit the Webbed Hand Records homepage.

Author: Mystified
Creative Commons license: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
Categories: Noise; Experimental; Electroacoustic; Sound Art; Ambient; Abstract; Dark Ambient; Lowercase"

Comments:
1. Notice that one of the categories listed for this CD is "Noise". There is a reason for that.

2. Notice that the artist is Mystified. Not as much as I am though.

3. Were you concerned about not knowing exactly what Musique Concrete is?
"Musique concrète (French; literally, "concrete music"), is the name given to a class of electronic music produced from editing together fragments of natural and industrial sounds. It is the opposite of traditional composing (known to some as Musique Abstraite, literally, Abstract Music) as the sounds are recorded first then built into a tune as opposed to a tune being written then given to players to turn into sound. Concrète was pioneered in the late 1940s and 1950s, spurred by developments in technology, most prominently microphones, and the commercial availability of the magnetic tape recorder, utilized as tape loops."

4. Note that this is a non-commercial recording. There is a reason for that. You may download any track from the CD you want at the above website.

5. If you go to the website and download an MP3, make it a short one. There is a reason you probably won't want to spend a lot of time downloading something from this CD.

6. I can't really say if there are any snippets of actual ragtime on this CD. Who could listen that long?

The most appropriate response to this review experience would be a theoretical one since the musique being reviewed is entirely theoretical, albeit concrete, in nature. Simply make some sort of industrial sound and move on.

Deep listening, indeed.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

What pain staking research! :o

So:
1) Did Dale just get lucky with the forum title
2) Did Dale know that it was there
3) Did Dale set this up with you OR did you set it up with Dale

inquiring minds want to know
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Denny wrote:What pain staking research! :o

So:

My theory is that all music genres have now been fused at least once. That said, Cynth has again demonstrated 'net skills in flushing this out.

In all seriousness, I've a big fan of the sort of extreme wing of sound art/dark ambient and so I listened to some of this, and I like it, but, alas, there's not a trace of ragtime.

Dale
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Elemental Ragtime by Mystified

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote:
2. Notice that the artist is Mystified. Not as much as I am though.
I've been asked by my friends, unfortunate enough to ride in my car when I'm on a deep ambient binge, to defend my interest in this stuff. I cannot. But, I truly do like it very much. My current favorite artist is Robin Storey, who records under the name Rapoon. Some of his recordings are available for free audition, in their glorious entirety, at www.magnatunes.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

DaleWisely wrote:
Denny wrote:What pain staking research! :o

So:

My theory is that all music genres have now been fused at least once. That said, Cynth has again demonstrated 'net skills in flushing this out.

In all seriousness, I've a big fan of the sort of extreme wing of sound art/dark ambient and so I listened to some of this, and I like it, but, alas, there's not a trace of ragtime.

Dale
:lol:

For what it is worth...

I would guess that your theory is correct.
This is not the first time Cynth has done this, and
I saw the text string in the article that would have yielded the hit on a search.
Shame about the lack of ragtime, eh?

Oh yeah...
I was, in no way, being serious!

:lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I must confess Denny is right. It just came right up. No one could have been more surprised than I. Even though I figured my "find" was not the correct fusion, I just couldn't pass it by. Of course, then someone had to actually listen to it. Honestly. Who ever would have thought?

Dale, have you ever tried, like, silence when you're not in the mood for actual music? Dude, it's NOISE! :lol:

It is actually interesting to see and hear bits of all the types of music I have never heard of. I have heard weird things in installations in museums I somehow ended up going to see, so now I know the sound probably had a name like "Musique Concrete". Perhaps I can throw that around at a dinner party sometime. :lol:

Well, it is best not to make fun of that which we do not understand, so for my penance I promise to go listen to just a bit of Rapoon. Just a little later.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

DaleWisely wrote:
I was thinking what we needed around here was a good bebop throat singing forum. I looked up throat singing and found, at Wikipedia, that two jazz musicians have worked with the Tenores di Bitti, a Sardinian throat singing group. I haven't located any of this music, except the Tenores by themselves. The musicians were Lester Bowie and Ornette Coleman. See the Wkikpedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_singing. Check out the Tenores at http://www.tenoresdibitti.com/ What an incredible sound. There are some videos on the site.

For real noise there's London, Ontario's own Nihilist Spasm Band. It's utter garbage. Sounds like a bunch of animals screaming in pain. At least that's the way the sounded the one time I heard them. They used to have a web page, maybe they still do.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

SteveK wrote:I looked up throat singing and found, at Wikipedia, that two jazz musicians have worked with the Tenores di Bitti, a Sardinian throat singing group
On Bela Fleck's "Live at the Quick" CD, the Flecktones perform with
Tuvan throat singer Kongar-ol Ondar. It's incredible!
SteveK wrote:For real noise there's London, Ontario's own Nihilist Spasm Band. It's utter garbage.
A former coworker has a CD of an early German Industrial band. They
apparantly went to an abandoned apartment building and proceded to
beat on various objects (pipes, bedsprings, old toilets) with drumsticks
while other band members play randomly on bass or guitar with lotsa
feedback. It was "interesting" for a couple songs, but after 1/2 hour,
your brain turns to mush.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveK wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
I was thinking what we needed around here was a good bebop throat singing forum. I looked up throat singing and found, at Wikipedia, that two jazz musicians have worked with the Tenores di Bitti, a Sardinian throat singing group. I haven't located any of this music, except the Tenores by themselves. The musicians were Lester Bowie and Ornette Coleman. See the Wkikpedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_singing. Check out the Tenores at http://www.tenoresdibitti.com/ What an incredible sound. There are some videos on the site.
Good heavens, I had no idea they did throat singing in Sardinia! I had associated it with Tuva and with Tibetan Buddhist monks but not with any other people.

I just spent about an hour at the Tenores di Bitti website. I found the videos well worth waiting for. I listened to quite a few sound clips. I really like the sacred ones. Oddly, they reminded me quite a bit of some Russian sacred music I've heard. The Deus Ti Salvet Maria clip was really something. I suppose there is something similar in the harmony or scale or something---I would not be able to figure it out. I certainly think they are among the most incredible singers I have heard. I tried to download some complete MP3's but it didn't work, so I'll try again later. One thing I found puzzling was that in the videos there was always a man standing a bit in the background who, I'm pretty sure, did not sing. I can't figure out what his duties were. He seemed to be with them, and not someone working for the venue.

That was really an interesting website, SteveK.

You guys, I think I might skip the garbage can music for today. :lol: It might be fun to do, but I think I'll stick with throat singing. I think maybe I'm going to hear Bela Fleck sometime soon. I'll have to ask my husband---I remember some conversation about him.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cynth wrote: Dale, have you ever tried, like, silence when you're not in the mood for actual music? Dude, it's NOISE! :lol:
Well, I would disagree with your opinion that it is more noise than music, except for the whole thing about you being more or less correct.

:)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

DaleWisely wrote:My theory is that all music genres have now been fused at least once.
As witnessed by the existence of klezmer-celtic (CeiliZemer), which, given the other fusions we've discovered here, is a pretty logical step in musical evolution.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony