Medieval/Metal crossover

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
mickspangle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Medieval/Metal crossover

Post by mickspangle »

In an ill-advised attempt to reveal some of my more esoteric musical tastes, may I draw your attention to Rondellus - an Estonian early music group who decided to release a CD of Black Sabbath covers performed in a medieval stylee, and with lyrics translated into Latin. :twisted: http://www.sabbatum.com/
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I have a CD of Gregorian chant sung mostly in, um, Pig Latin. Link here, scroll down to the bottom of the page. The lyrics and liner notes are quite funny.

Tempus porco nihil est.

(Time to a pig means zilch.)
mickspangle

Post by mickspangle »

maybe they should duet on War Pigs? :boggle:
Wormdiet

Re: Medieval/Metal crossover

Post by Wormdiet »

mickspangle wrote:In an ill-advised attempt to reveal some of my more esoteric musical tastes, may I draw your attention to Rondellus - an Estonian early music group who decided to release a CD of Black Sabbath covers performed in a medieval stylee, and with lyrics translated into Latin. :twisted: http://www.sabbatum.com/
Beyond cool!

:)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
mikey_r

Re: Medieval/Metal crossover

Post by mikey_r »

mickspangle wrote:In an ill-advised attempt to reveal some of my more esoteric musical tastes, may I draw your attention to Rondellus - an Estonian early music group who decided to release a CD of Black Sabbath covers performed in a medieval stylee, and with lyrics translated into Latin. :twisted: http://www.sabbatum.com/
This sounds really interesting. Unfortunately, the sound sample links don't work for me :sniffle:
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I enjoy the band Opeth a lot. While not specifically medieval, their arrangements sound more like romantic orchestral music to me than heavy metal.

Once you get past the cookie-monster lyrics, that is!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Eitreach

Post by Eitreach »

What's wrong about listening to metal?

I both play the whistle, and my six guitars - and I love both folk and metal, and mixing those two simply gives an amazing result, mostly. If you take a look at the scandinavian metal-scene in the mid-90's, a trend began to unfold - what metal-folks today usually refer to "melodeath", og melodic death metal - back then, there were to types of that musical style: One focused on the folk-melodies of scandinavia and tremolo-picking, the other style was more thrashlike, riff-wise - a band like Dark Tranquillity and In Flames are good examples of exactly that.

About a year ago, I stumbled across a faroese band called Týr. They mix inspirations such as Dream Theater (who many refer to as the kings progressive metal) and their musical heritage - and the result is amazing. The lead singer sings in faroese, danish and english - apart from the traditional folk-songs they have modernised, they have also made a cover of The Wild Rover - which actually ended up sounding quite nordic, for some reason.

To make a long story short - folk metal rules! :P

..and I still keep thinking of bands.

Ashtar, is a brazilian metal-outfit, focussing on the irish and celtic musical heritage - some of their songs are simple modern remakes of traditional songs, and some are more metalesque - some even with doom metal-like vocals - quite interesting, when exploring that kind of music.

#Wormdiet

Opeth is an amazing band - one of the best progressive death metal-bands that ever shot out of Sweden - and about those vocals, Mikael Åkerfeldt is an amazing vocalist - his clean vocals are beautiful and fragile, while his growl is meaty and clear, yet still extremely distorted - you don't see that kind of talent a lot, what death metal-vocalists concern.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Eitreach wrote:...what metal-folks today usually refer to "melodeath", og melodic death metal...
We definitely need a forum for this. :twisted:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Yeah, but Gwar still rocks my world.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Pigorian Chant and Sabbatium where my Christmas gifts to friends a few years ago. As I recall, I think Sabbatium got written up in the L.A. Times rock and roll column with very favorable comments. When my kids were in their early teens, we did a car trip sowewhere and would "sing" (chant) along to the CD. Lots of good funny memories with that.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

It does give “getting medieval on your ass” a new spin!
OnlyAnEgg

Sorry to chime in late

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

I just heard of Rondellus last week. This cd is a hoot, to me, as I cut my teeth to sabbath :)
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Rod Sprague wrote:It does give “getting medieval on your ass” a new spin!
Honestly, I have a classical ass.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.