Greggie Chant

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Greggie Chant

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Ah, Gregorian chant. How relaxing. I remember back in the 9th grade I took a Music Appreciation class. We started studying Ars Antiqua (The Old Art) and lo...Gregorian chant. It was so cool, that I focused myself to learning how to read Gregorian chant. Such an interesting time I had learning that, because then, I had just started learning to read music (I was an ear player before then). In our books, we came across this one chant manuscript called III: Aux Fetes Sollenelles (I think that's how its spelled). I had just before this got my hands on a copy of a chant...simply called Kyrie III. Well guess what...those two (manuscript and music) were the same thing, just transcribed into a different key. It was so cool. Then I remember back in my 11th grade World History class, my teacher had a piece of an original Gregorian chant book, which I started humming for him. Being well-versed in all aspects of music, he was astounded. I recommend this as a great hobby to anyone whose interested. :thumbsup:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Yeah, but to me it's those high lonesome harmonies that really do it. Nothing says "the hills of ol' Kentucky" to me like male voices in parallel fifths echoing through a cathedral.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

For the ultimate, try Gregorian chant on bassoon. :)

--Jacobius
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The best example is Ray Steven's "Haircut Song", Opus 63, 3rd stanza:
Well, when I stepped into the shop, I realized immediately that I was dealing with a born-again barber.
Don't see too many barber shops with a steeple, had an organ in the corner, a choir, an usher led me to the barber chair.
Barber walked in, started saying grace: "Oh Lord, for these haircuts we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Dominus possum pax probiscus, post mortem, et tu brute, puella carborundum".
He was sorta half-Baptist, half-Catholic...kind of a Cathtist.
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

peeplj wrote:For the ultimate, try Gregorian chant on bassoon. :)

--Jacobius
That would be interesting...if I only knew bassoon (calling bassoonist friend... :lol: )
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

To me, the ultimate album was 1978's Smokey Censer in the Smokies album, featuring the Waldco Bros. & Smiley with the St. Luke's Chorale.

I was moved to tears by Tone IV Magnificat Blues, and whose foot wouldn't tap to the Exultamus Breakdown? But the opus supreme, bar none, was Coy Waldco's virtuoso Dobro work on Pike County Alleluia.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I actually do try to play along to Perotin and other early stuff on my flute. It's usually in the wrong key though :(

I'd Love to get four fluters or whistlers to play Viderunt Omnes. How cool would that be?

Or maybe two extremely talented UP players could do it using regs.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

It's all about the Hildegard.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My current personal fave is "Grunt - Pigorian Chant from Snouto Domoinnko de Silo, Discovered, Translated, notated & Illuminated by Sandra Boynton"

Pure porcine perfection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076110 ... 5&v=glance
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com