Cool fusion

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
jsluder
antispam: No

Cool fusion

Post by jsluder »

So far, we've had:
  • Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion
    Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues Fusion
    Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans
So, what other combinations might come along?

How 'bout...

Haiku Rap
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

buildings tagged, no mo
bruthas die than ask fo it
steppin' in my turf
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Gotta spend some G's
Get me some mad Bling-bling, yo
Where my bitches at?

(my apologies to Japan and the D-O-double-gizzle)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Why you talkin' sh*t?
Always gotta be frontin'
You ain't got no game!

Chillin' on my yacht
Drinkin' dat Courvoisier
I be big pimpin'

(this is fun!)
carrie

Post by carrie »

I imagine you all know about the subset of this fusion, those artists who defied the mainstream and chose to use rap forms but haiku themes (Hamamura Ho's "Frog Jump in Watta Yo, Persimmon for the daughta" comes most obviously to mind); but I've misplaced my anthology and just wondered if anyone might remember any of those other classics and be willing to risk copyright laws and post them here.

*looks pointedly at FJohnSharp and fearfaoin*

Carol
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

cskinner wrote:I imagine you all know about the subset of this fusion, those artists who defied the mainstream and chose to use rap forms but haiku themes (Hamamura Ho's "Frog Jump in Watta Yo, Persimmon for the daughta" comes most obviously to mind)
Oy. That way madness lies.
I don't even want to think about the war that errupted between the
West Coast Haiku Homeboys and the East Coast Hokku Gangstas.
Why Tupac Basho had to take the fall for the polly-syllabic sins of one
Notorious K.I.G.O., I'll never be able to guess.

But, I'll never forget one of The Beasty Buddhas' early hits:

"The snails climb Mount Fugi, but ever so slow
I really love the springtime, cause that's when winds blow
I pass by a quiet stream, where will it flow?
Birds are eating Shiki's corn, despite the scarecrow!"
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Good one. :D

I found this on the B side of Notorius Z.E.N.'s big hit, 'The sound of one gun shooting."

The cherry blossoms fall
The lotus bud stirs
The kiss of spring breeze
I'll be storing the furs
Word
Cause they's nothing like daffodils
Peeking they heads
Make a young brutha randy
Get him thinking of beds
I said
Spotted fawns are frisking
In the meadow with does
And it's time for me to score
A little doe of my own
You know
I don't need no antlers
But I got me a rack
If them other bucks come round
I got a piece in my back
Pocket
Lock it and leave it
Break it off clean
Next I'm hunting robin red breast
If you know what I mean.
Peace
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

FJohnSharp wrote:I found this on the B side of Notorius Z.E.N.'s big hit, 'The sound of one gun shooting."
:)

That one never got enough playtime.
carrie

Post by carrie »

This is my WAY favorite forum.

Carol
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Have a look here and tell me what you find (my internet connection is too slow). Might be as much fusion (and yodelling!) as you can think of. And a nice lass as well...
http://www.zabine.info/video/
Christian
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, you guys have discovered cold fusion!

It was only a matter of time.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

ChristianRo wrote:Have a look here and tell me what you find (my internet connection is too slow). Might be as much fusion (and yodelling!) as you can think of. And a nice lass as well...
http://www.zabine.info/video/
Okay. This website led me into the most long and tangled and interesting journey. Wow! I downloaded quite a few of the videos. They take a long time even on fast connection. Good quality but fairly short videos. Most seemed to be slow, nice singing. Not extremely interesting, at least for me. One about The Rilke Project, but I cannot understand German unfortunately. My favorite was one with Hubert von Goisern and some fellows who weren't the Alpinkatz, but must have been close---two had goggles on top of their heads, one was a good fiddle player, HvG playing great accordion... That was good. I think HvG might be a genius. I don't think I'm alone in that. I have spent a lot of time at his website today. http://www.hubertvongoisern.com/

Okay, sound clips. Only two available and both great.

Guat Liabn (what does that mean?) has some great yodeling that sort of turns into what seems like strange throat singing and growling along with accordion. It all seems sort of dada-esque to me, so sort of Industrial. There is some seemingly random singing, pitch and rhythm not an issue. I have no idea what is fused to what. :lol: It's Alpine yodeling-something alright!

Then Ya Ho He, vocal mix with NC Tribe. Okay, definitely some Industrial there. Random noise. Industrial-Alpine yodeling fusion. Yodeling very expressive, interesting against mechanistic background.
Sabine Kapfinger recorded the trance track Ya Ho He with NC Tribe in 1998. The song was played during Essential Mix World Tour with Carl Cox in Singapore, which was broadcast on BBC Radio 1 in October 1998.
What the heck is a "trance track"?

Then off to Mongolia:
In the "International Year of Mountains", Zabine joined the Tien-Shan Schweiz Express as a yodeller and singer for a series of concerts in Switzerland during the summer. In a few breaks between these concerts, Zabine was also able to perform a handful of Transalpin concerts at venues in Germany and Austria.
ImageOn this album, there is some Alpine-Mongolian fusion, but I didn't actually hear any clips.

Considering that I know nothing about fusion of any kind and generally hate the idea :lol: , I must say this woman's website led to quite an interesting number of listening experiences. She seems like a great person.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Hi Cynth,
thanks for your review. Yes, Hubert von Goisern is an extremely talented and innovative musician. His music is very accessible.

Re: your questions:
"Guat Liabn" (="gut lieben") means more or less "to love well" or "good love"
"Trance track": "trance" is a distinctive sytle of electronic dance music, probably derived from house/techno/eurodance - who knows what. :boggle: I think it's called "trance" for its repetitive, "hypnotic" nature.
Christian