Jimmie Rodgers Yodelusion

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Jimmie Rodgers Yodelusion

Post by Walden »

I feel that Jimmie Rodgers' Blue Yodel, a truly indigenous American form of Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion, could have taken the Grand Ole Opry in a very different direction. He was very influential. Even Mother Maybelle felt the need to give it a try on a few discs.

But the politics of segregation-era Nashville really hindered the profligation of this style, in that era. It seems that it was deemed suggestive to mix a blue form such as Alpine yodeling with an orangish form such as Samba. But the thirst for such music could not be quenched throughout the United States, and we got rare glimpses of the style, for example, when the Sons of the Pioneers, the Trapp Family Singers, and Beth Carvalho did a lavish production number on a highly-rated 1978 episode of the Muppet Show.

Any thoughts?
Reasonable person
Walden
carrie

Post by carrie »

I'm just heartened that there is finally some discussion here about the traditional roots of this compelling style instead of its Hollywood-ized imposter. Walden, as with any genuine musical tradition, politics is inevitably a shaping influence. You've hit that fruit-basketed and lederhosened nail on the head.

Carol
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Precisely. And that's exactly why I started this forum. A home for those who want to fight the tide of this slick, corporate, soulless pop forms of Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion and promote the genuine article.

Dale
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

jimmy rodgers blue yodel #5 changed my whole life when I first heard it, when I was a lad! :thumbsup:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh tansy, I can't tell you what a wild goose chase you sent me on! :lol: I decided to find out which one was #5. I haven't listened to them for a very long time, but I had it in my mind that my favorite had been #4.

Well, what a mess on the Internet with these blue yodels!!! :boggle: They've got the titles and words mixed up, when you can find them, even on the sound clips.

So then I thought, let's get organized and I numbered down from 1-12 and I was going to nail each one. Honestly. I really didn't get that far. The lyrics sites say they have them and they don't! It's an advertising ploy just to get you there. And the pop-ups! :boggle:

So I like the She's Long, She's Tall one, I think that is #3, but I'm not sure. #5 is not mentioned very often---does it have "drink muddy water" in it? Actually, I liked them all a lot. I enjoyed listening to the clips even if I didn't get the right number for each yodel. :)
P.S. I ordered a practice set. Due in March!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cynth wrote:P.S. I ordered a practice set. Due in March!
Yodelin Pipes?
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: If they yodel I think I'll be lucky. The sounds most beginners describe are hardly even mentionable in public!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca