adapting rap/hiphop to guitar/singing.

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Stev0
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

adapting rap/hiphop to guitar/singing.

Post by Stev0 »

My friend and former bandmate Andrew Moore is an up-and-coming rap/hiphop artist. His music touches the soul and presents a powerful message. He breaks the mold by getting away from the stereotypical "Drugs, violence, sexism, bling etc..." and rapping about real issue in the world and using his talent to make a difference. I have decided, with his permission and guidance, to adapt one of his songs "Can't Stand By" to be played on acoustic guitar with singing vocals. Just Me, my voice and my guitar. I don't even really have a name for the genre this would fall into. Folk-ish maybe? I intend to keep it very simple, hardly any lead guitar. My adaptation is a work in progress and will take quite some time to complete. I intend to make a recording of it in the end, along with several other cross-genre adaptations I'm working into the same format. in the mean time, here's a link to his website. Enjoy! http://moorewatchcity.com
-Stevo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: adapting rap/hiphop to guitar/singing.

Post by Nanohedron »

Stev0 wrote:I don't even really have a name for the genre this would fall into.
So I had a look into the vid of the song you're targeting, and it wasn't hard to imagine a guitar version. I think it would still qualify as rap/hiphop (sorry, I still have yet to grasp the distinction between the two), because I've always understood the genre to be entirely about the rhythmically arranged spoken word, not by what accompanies it. So, solo guitar? Why not? I remember years ago hearing a rap/hiphop piece that went far outside the box (such as I knew it), surprising me with outrageously lush and highly sophisticated choral backing - it was as if as if one were in a riot of seductive, otherworldly, gigantic flowers; a transcendent beauty informed the background color throughout. It was one of only two times in memory that a rap piece ever favorably commanded my attention, and it forever changed my perception of the genre's possibilities in that it utterly defied the one-trick pony stereotype, yet no one would have denied that what I was hearing was indeed rap/hiphop, which it most certainly was. Accordingly, I don't see why a super-minimalist approach with a guitar, acoustic or electric, shouldn't be included within its spectrum. It'd give the stuffy old guard a good shaking-up.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Stev0
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

Post by Stev0 »

The way I've always seen it, is rap/hiphop (I also don't see much distinction between the 2) focuses on the rythme and lyrics, while true "singing" is more melodic, and sometimes has no lyrics at all. My intention with this song is to enhance and add to the small amount of melody that Moore uses, both from his vocals and from the accompaniment. I'm also going to break up the lyrics into more of a verse/chorus kind of deal, rather than one continuous flow (although the lyrics do already have a chorus, but it is rather long and verse-like).
-Stevo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Stev0 wrote:My intention with this song is to enhance and add to the small amount of melody that Moore uses, both from his vocals and from the accompaniment. I'm also going to break up the lyrics into more of a verse/chorus kind of deal, rather than one continuous flow (although the lyrics do already have a chorus, but it is rather long and verse-like).
It seems that a direct comparison to rap begins to fade, doesn't it. I suppose it would depend on how much melody you use if the term "rap" is no longer to apply.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

It seems that a direct comparison to rap begins to fade, doesn't it. I suppose it would depend on how much melody you use if the term "rap" is no longer to apply.
I get where you're coming from, I would agree a lot of modern music does blur that line. Many rap songs are very melodic, while a lot of rocks songs are very monotone. Personally I prefer the more melodic of both.
-Stevo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I wonder if anyone's done rap with a ukulele.