Mariachi Polka ???

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
richard1941
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mariachi Polka ???

Post by richard1941 »

Mariachi Polka is not at all totally crazy. Here in southern California we are much closer to Mexico than you, and in fact a lot of us are actual Mexicans! And half of the radio and TV stations are Mexicans. Come here and listen, and you will hear a lot of polka on those stations, but it is traditional European polka, not the trumpet/violin mariachi style.
MTGuru

Re: Mariachi Polka ???

Post by MTGuru »

Both this forum and Flanges & Hummus attract some "interesting" drive-bys, eh?
richard1941 wrote:Here in southern California we are much closer to Mexico than you
I kinda doubt that. Like Sarah Palin, I can see Mexico from my front door! Oh wait, wrong country ...
richard1941 wrote:and in fact a lot of us are actual Mexicans!
In fact, a lot of me is actual Mexican!
richard1941 wrote:And half of the radio and TV stations are Mexicans.
And, amazingly, half of all Mexicans are radio and TV stations!
richard1941 wrote:Come here and listen
Yes, listening to Mexican radio is definitely the main reason to visit Southern California. :really:
richard1941 wrote:and you will hear a lot of polka on those stations, but it is traditional European polka, not the trumpet/violin mariachi style.
Not exactly. Polka is not a significant part of Mariachi. You do hear some Mariachi here, but norteño styles are much more common and popular. And the two broad norteño styles are: Tex-Mex aka Ranchero, and Banda Music. Ranchero is accordion-based and influenced by the German populations in central and south Texas. Banda Sinaloense is brasswind-based and an outgrowth of French-style military bands during the era of Maximillian. Extended listening to either style will make your brain melt and ooze out of your ears.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

MTGuru wrote:Extended listening to either style will make your brain melt and ooze out of your ears.
I remember that I used to listen to the local Mexican radio station on my commute to class during my undergrad. It was excellent listening practice for my Spanish.

I found that, as my comprehension of what they were singing about increased, the effect MTGuru is referring to increased in equal measure. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I actually like banda music - in measured doses. It's both fascinating and completely bizarre. Take a bunch of military surplus brasswinds and drums. Learn to play everything at the extreme-distortion top of your lungs, to be heard in a large outdoor plaza. Then adapt ranchero-style songs and corridos to sound like cross between Mexican folk, J.P. Sousa and Lawrence Welk on acid. Voilà - banda!
stanton135 wrote:I found that, as my comprehension of what they were singing about increased, the effect MTGuru is referring to increased in equal measure. :wink:
Yes, it sounds very old-fashioned and rustic, until you realize they're sometimes singing about Facebook and mobile phones, and sex and drugs and violence ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

richard1941 wrote:Mariachi Polka is not at all totally crazy. Here in southern California we are much closer to Mexico than you, and in fact a lot of us are actual Mexicans! And half of the radio and TV stations are Mexicans. Come here and listen, and you will hear a lot of polka on those stations, but it is traditional European polka, not the trumpet/violin mariachi style.
I'm sure you're right. But, remember, the musical genre hybrid referenced is "Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk." Get much of that your way? :D
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

My understanding is there is a quite a German influence on Mexican music and much of it does indeed have a polka sound. Google "música norteña".

-l2t
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

leearn2turn wrote:[Thread revival. - Mod]

My understanding is there is a quite a German influence on Mexican music and much of it does indeed have a polka sound. Google "música norteña".

-l2t
German and Czech via Texas:

https://www.npr.org/2015/03/11/39214107 ... d-to-polka
Benzy
Tell us something.: I have a question about acoustic guitars... This is why I have registred in the forum (in order to post it)
Thank you :)

Post by Benzy »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
MTGuru wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 am I actually like banda music - in measured doses. It's both fascinating and completely bizarre. Take a bunch of military surplus brasswinds and drums. Learn to play everything at the extreme-distortion top of your lungs, to be heard in a large outdoor plaza. Then adapt ranchero-style songs and corridos to sound like cross between Mexican folk, J.P. Sousa and Lawrence Welk on acid. Voilà - banda!
stanton135 wrote:I found that, as my comprehension of what they were singing about increased, the effect MTGuru is referring to increased in equal measure. :wink:
Yes, it sounds very old-fashioned and rustic, until you realize they're sometimes singing about Facebook and mobile phones, and sex and drugs and violence ...
Totally agree with you, would you please share with me bands which play this style ?
Thank you :)