Irish ukulele... does it work?

Formerly North-Indian Global-Zombie-Trance Jazz, Barbershop-Darbhanga Fusion, Rai-Ska Outlaw Country Operetta , Neurofunk Madrigal Throat Singing, Freestyle Acid House Flamenco, Twelve Tone Boy Groups, Dark Ambient Ragtime Fusion, Klezmer Surf Trance; Gregorian Chant/Bluegrass; Andean-Reggae Black Metal for Lapsed Lutherans; Chinese Opera-Mississippi Delta Blues; Alpine Yodeling-Samba Fusion; and Mariachi-Polka Waltz-Punk Forum
Mary Hanafin Doonan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish ukulele... does it work?

Post by Mary Hanafin Doonan »

Casey, you don't have to say.. just play it.

I've heard Jake twice before, fun!

They're going to boot me out of here..
Mary
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Casey, you don't have to say.. just play it.

I've heard Jake twice before, fun!

http://wn.com/flamenco_ukulele

They're going to boot me out of here..
Mary
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Jake is awesome, definitely a fave. I'd love to see him do something with Bela Fleck.
Mary Hanafin Doonan

I'll check him out online... He's in Tenn. ?

I also like Jesse Cook. As you see I belong in this thread... I grew up with my Mum singing with Noel Henery as they lived a few miles away and familie's music at home, so that close to heart... but sounds as like you, enjoy a wide range of music.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Thanks Denny!

I can partial blame my hybridization on living next door to Frank Zappa's son and enjoying Newport,R.I. home of the first American Jazz fest.

clip:
Founded in 1954, the Newport Jazz Festival® was the first jazz festival in America, and has been host to numerous legendary performances by iconic historic figures and contemporary geniuses. Historic moments since its inception include performance by Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane and Miles Davis. Referred to as a Mecca of jazz, the event draws thousands of people from all over the world to Newport, Rhode Island, a city which is famed in its spectacular coastal scenery and awe-inspiring architecture.
end clip:

Very cool to listen free while anchored swingin' on your hook in the harbour!

http://www.newportjazzfest.net/

Newport, RI .... missin' home now...
Mary
ImogeneWhitaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImogeneWhitaker »

Great idea! I love when people try to interpret music in some unusual ways, especially when it comes to ukulele (like The pUKEs). In your case, I think concert uke would sound better than baritone.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Reviving my own thread here... this was a bit of fun last night at the end of our session. I’ve had strings for 5ths tuning on my ukulele for a while, tuned CGDA. Yesterday I retuned it to CGDG to make it like a GDAD bouzouki capoed at the 5th fret. My friend here is playing my Billy Billy bamboo flute in F, and I accompanied on the uke. It was fun. Not something I’d make a regular thing, but fun as a novelty experiment.

https://m.facebook.com/casey.thomaston. ... 6055985555

Let me know if the link doesn’t work and I’ll try to repost it to YouTube.
Brus

Post by Brus »

I've seen Gerry O'Beirne playing ukulele, and I don't know how he fits his thick fingers into that narrow fretboard. I've seen it from the front row and I still don't know how he does it.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Tor

Post by Tor »

Thomaston wrote: Let me know if the link doesn’t work and I’ll try to repost it to YouTube.
Can't reach fb from here, so yt would work better for me at least.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Tor wrote:
Thomaston wrote: Let me know if the link doesn’t work and I’ll try to repost it to YouTube.
Can't reach fb from here, so yt would work better for me at least.
Will do. I just need to get the person that recorded it to send it to me.
Capnewshound
Tell us something.: I’m interested in learning about Irish flute music. I’ve studied orchestral flute and played around with shakuhachi, but now I’m getting fascinated with Irish flute and trad. Is this long enough?

Post by Capnewshound »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Funny thing, I’m a former flamenco guitarist starting to get into ITM and I’ve been wondering about other instruments, meaning besides traditional instruments like fiddle, flute, bodhran and bouzouki. Wait, bouzouki?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Holy thread bump, Batman! Been a while since I’ve been here, so it was funny to see this thread.
Anyway, it’s not great for sessioning, but I still keep my tenor uke in 5ths. I keep it in CGDA these days and flatpick tunes on it when I want to practice quietly. I’ve actually thought of bringing it to work to play on my lunch break.
It brings a nice sustain that my mandolin and banjo don’t give me, which is nice.