sinking calfskin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
5 string fool
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

sinking calfskin

Post by 5 string fool »

The skin on my Lyon and Healy tenor has loosened to the point that my bridge is sinking, causing some fret buzz. Is there an easy fix for this? I thought of wetting the skin and letting it dry out but I'm not sure. I have virtually no experience with calfskin vellums, but I understand they're pricey andI don't want to replace it unless necessary. Any advice wouyld be greatly appreciated.
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: sinking calfskin

Post by Latticino »

I'm certainly no expert on natural banjo skins, but it does seem to me that you are experiencing a humidity related loosening of the skin. My primary instruments, wood flute and concertina, are loving this humid summer we have been having, but I know the higher humidity is not universally appreciated by instruments. The method you are suggesting sounds a little extreme. I would consider loosening the strings, then taking the banjo into a fully air conditioned space (lower humidity) to see if the skin tightens up first. Following that, attempt to keep your banjo in a space with lower humidity to preserve the tension on the head. I know that my 5-string used to have a large number of bolts that could be tightened around the rim to adjust the tension on the head. Does yours?

The C&F is probably not the best place to get info on banjos. Why not check here: http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/.

Good luck.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

If you don't want to use the tension bolts (or don't have them) to tighten your skin, try fitting a taller bridge. Then, if it is humidity causing your problem, you can change back when things dry out ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Instruments with natural skins often have to have two or more bridges to use as wheather changes.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info