Best guitar for 100 quid

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
dunnp
antispam: No

Best guitar for 100 quid

Post by dunnp »

Hi all,

I haven't really looked at guitars in years so haven't a clue what's on the market the now. My sister in law asked me to pick out a guitar for her. I think she wants a steel string? She was thinking of spending around 80 quid. I don't think she really has a clue what a good guitar can cost. So say she has a budget of 100 quid plus or minus a few what's out there for her.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
megapop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Best guitar for 100 quid

Post by megapop »

That's 100 GBP? For a decent, affordable steel string (acoustic?) guitar you can't go wrong with Takamine IMHO. I think they start at around this price (~ 130 €).
return null;
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

If your sister is a bit petite, a Yamaha JR1 FG-Junior is a nice small-size steel-strung instrument ... albeit a little over £100. I've not needed to look into full-size instruments in recent years, my old Antoria J200-copy still serves me well :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

You won't get much for £100. If it's electric's she's after then look to Yamaha or Fender. Yamaha's Pacificas have always been good value and Fender's Squire series are also great beginners instruments.

If it's an acoustic you can have a look at Freshman. They're built in China and finished in Scotland I think. Regardless of provenance they've got a good range of affordable acoustics, though I dunno if they go as low as your budget. As long as you stick to mainstream brands you'll probably do OK. That Takamine megapop mentioned I think comes out around £130, it'd be alright.

Avoid Hohner's from Argos and similar crap.