Help identify mountain dulcimer?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Jubal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Help identify mountain dulcimer?

Post by Jubal »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm enjoying it so far. So much useful and interesting stuff here!

I just recently started playing the mountain dulcimer. I found one along with a courting dulcimer and got both with some strings for $110. The folks at everythingdulcimer.com gave me some great articles on getting started playing, but I thought I'd ask here too if someone knew anything about the make? They're both similar looking and belonged to the same guy. One has "Crying Otter" on it. The other has "Scott-Lenn" with the names Bruce Scotten and Mike Lennon of Springhill, TN on the inside. Anyone know anything about these makers?

Thanks!
Tim2723

Re: Help identify mountain dulcimer?

Post by Tim2723 »

The name Crying Otter is vaguely familiar. I'm almost certain I've heard that long ago at Everything Dulcimer. Did you try searching the archives at ED? The other sounds like a couple of guys who may have ventured into building. There are so many small builders out there that it can be very hard to track them down. Often we've seen individuals who tried their hand at a dulcimer and signed it, then it found its way out into the world but no one knows anything about it. There are thousands and thousands of cases like that, so you may have that going on as well. Even if you never find out more about them, just enjoy them for what they are. A sweet playing, in-tune dulcimer is a wonderful instrument.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Jubal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help identify mountain dulcimer?

Post by Jubal »

Hey Tim,

I did some more research over the past few days and found out some interesting stuff. Apparently Michael Lennon and Bruce Scotten are luthiers that you would study under in Spring Hill (near Nashville). The place is called The Apprentice Shop and is still open today. It turns out these guys made some guitars for Fender too. I also found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=t_B-xn ... CC0Q6AEwAA

So, I looked inside the courting dulcimer and it didn't have their names on it, but it had Crying Otter and Springhill, TN inside. The two dulcimers have the same soundholes and are made with similar craftsmanship, so I assume they came from the same factory. However, perhaps Lennon and Scotten worked on the single dulcimer, and not the courting dulcimer. Perhaps one is older than the other? The courting also has the number 2 and 047 a few spaces over. The single dulcimer has no numbers.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share all of this info because I found it rather interesting. The great news? This shop is still open and an hour away from where I live. The courting dulcimer needs some repair so maybe I can take them both down and get more info? And I'll check out ED too.

Sorry for the long post. Yes you're right though, these dulcimers sound great and I'm really enjoying them, and will continue to even if I know nothing about them. I was hooked once I had started playing them in the store.