Hurdy Gurdy builders in North America?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Hurdy Gurdy builders in North America?

Post by Sirchronique »

Due to a hand problem, I am afraid I simply should not continue with octave mandolin, as it's causing me too much pain with my hand. Thank goodness whistle and pipes do not bother my hand, but as much as it sucks, I'm afraid I just have to give up octave mandolin due to my hand problems at the base of my thumb, as I do not want to worsen it to the point where it affects my playing of other instruments. I've held my thumb in the position I see hurdy gurdy players have it on a box and moved my fingers as though I'm playing a hurdy gurdy, and I do not think it would bother my hand in the least. It is only a very specific type of pressure on one part of my thumb in a specific direction that sends the shock-type of pain through my hand.

That being said, I've long had and interest in the hurdy gurdy, for about 6 years now. If I'm to give up octave mandolin, I'd very much like to take up the hurdy gurdy to replace it's spot in the instruments I'm learning. Along with an interest in the instrument itself, I'm very interested in much of the music that the hurdy gurdy is played withing.

I would like to have a little list here of people who make the instrument within the USA or Canada. If I am to sell my stringed instruments to buy a hurdy gurdy, I'd prefer to buy one made within my area, so any repairs, maintainance, or help is nearby, in case the instrument needs to be sent back to the luthier for any reasons.

Any recommendations, advice, or resources of information would be appreciated. I am hoping to find something around the 2000$ range, if that's possible. If I must go over that amount, I will, as I consider this a lifetime purchase, and I want to stick with one single hurdy gurdy for a very long time, so I want to go all out and get one with the capabilities I am after. it's important that it has plenty of notes on the melody strings, and a good assortment of dronage. Any advice? I already listen to plenty of music that is played, or can be played, on the hurdy gurdy, so there is already a very wide assortment of tunes for me to learn, and I feel I at least have som familiarity with enough music for me to learn from the start. Where I need help is simply with some advice on finding a quality instrument that will last me many many years.
cboody

Re: Hurdy Gurdy builders in North America?

Post by cboody »

These folks:

http://www.hurdygurdycrafters.com/

Seem to get better and better. And, they have some models in your range. I've a gurdy playing friend who has instruments from all over the world and she thinks their instruments compare well with the best out there. There are also two makers in the northwest part of the US, Olympic and another whose name escapes me.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

cboody wrote:These folks:

http://www.hurdygurdycrafters.com/

Seem to get better and better. And, they have some models in your range. I've a gurdy playing friend who has instruments from all over the world and she thinks their instruments compare well with the best out there. There are also two makers in the northwest part of the US, Olympic and another whose name escapes me.
Thanks! I came across this site a long time ago, when I was wavering between taking up uilleann pipes or hurdy gurdy. I went for the pipes and forgot about the site. Glad to hear it has some positive review! I'm bookmarking it and will research into it!

I wondered about these. http://www.altarwind.com/ Some things about the site and how it's presented make me wonder about the quality, though.

Seeing as there are not "hurdyandgurdipple" message boards, or anything of that sort, it's very difficult to find information on what is worth buying, and what is garbage, so it's very hard to tell. If buying within europe it would be easier, but I think buying from a US luthier might be better for me. I am definitely going to give it some months of research before I jump into anything, though, as I want to make sure to get the right one
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

cboody wrote:There are also two makers in the northwest part of the US, Olympic and another whose name escapes me.
Olympic Musical Instruments (Alden and Cali Hackmann):
http://www.hurdygurdy.com/

Altarwind Music (George and Anwyn Leverett):
http://www.altarwind.com/

Kelischek Workshop (makers of Susato):
http://www.susato.com/konakart/Hurdy-Gu ... 5_-1_-1.do

While C&F has no forum on this, you might check into:
http://www.gurdypedia.com/
Besides other resources and events, they mention some groups on Yahoo & Google focused on the instrument, so there is active discussion going on.

and the method book by Doreen Muskett:
http://www.hurdygurdymethod.co.uk/
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Thanks for the response!

Although I am interested in compiling a list of what's out there, I will mention that the type which susato sells are the ones which I intend to avoid, as I don't think it really has the capabilities to do what I'm after. It has some notational limitations, having only one melody string, and it has no buzzing bridge. That's the type thing I don't think would satisfy me for very long, or be compatible with all of the music I wish to play.

Thanks much for the list though, I'll check out some others and do some research!

The last link you sent me interests me, I'll check it out immediately. I did find an online group a long time ago, but it only had like 6 posts and they were all dated back several years. Maybe I will create a group on facebook if there isn't one already, as it might turn up some people to help.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The Olympic ones seem to be what everyone turns to - 5 string (2 melody, 3 drone). I agree that the Susato one appear pretty basic, not craftsman instruments.

The group I looked at had current, active posts, but go ahead, ignore them and start your own wheel.

Too bad the festival in Washington hasn't met the last few years - that looked interesting.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

kkrell wrote:
The group I looked at had current, active posts, but go ahead, ignore them and start your own wheel.
In my response I wasn't referring to the groups you mentioned, but rather the single group I found around 2 years ago. Back then I did not have much luck finding anything aside from that one group. I shall definitely be looking into finding other groups, especially ones that are current. I'm glad to know there are currently groups that are active! I'm going to look into them this week.

Just wanted you to know, I wasn't dismissing your suggestion in the least! It's greatly appreciated!
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Hi,
I'm an Ireland-based uilleann piper primarily, but I've always loved the Hurdy Gurdy, and I own a beautiful one which was made by Daniel Thonon in Montreal. However, it's very large, and I'm travelling to NY soon to do a show in which the HG features. Does anybody in the tri-state area have a HG that I could rent or borrow from the 30th of May till the 3rd of June?

I'd certainly organise a pair of tickets to the show - 'Edges of Light', featuring Tola Custy on Fiddle, Maeve Gilchrist on Harp, Colin Dunne Dance and myself, David Power on Uilleann Pipes and whistles.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/dance/ed ... light.html

My email address is davidpowerup@gmail.com

Regards,

David
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

leremarkable wrote:Hi,
I'm an Ireland-based uilleann piper primarily, but I've always loved the Hurdy Gurdy, and I own a beautiful one which was made by Daniel Thonon in Montreal. However, it's very large, and I'm travelling to NY soon to do a show in which the HG features. Does anybody in the tri-state area have a HG that I could rent or borrow from the 30th of May till the 3rd of June?

I'd certainly organise a pair of tickets to the show - 'Edges of Light', featuring Tola Custy on Fiddle, Maeve Gilchrist on Harp, Colin Dunne Dance and myself, David Power on Uilleann Pipes and whistles.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/dance/ed ... light.html

My email address is davidpowerup@gmail.com

Regards,

David
Did you try contacting the resources I mention further up this thread. If the builders and/or discussion groups are still active, they'd likely be a more significant resource for you than the C&F forums.
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

Yes Kevin, I've checked them all out, thank you.

David