Finally got my wire harp

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Finally got my wire harp

Post by oleorezinator »

Redwolf wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:

Derek Bell did indeed play the cláirseach.
He didn't however use the fingernail technique in playing it.
His album Carolan's Receipt opens with the wire strung harp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFC_V_I ... ata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFC_V_IS0E
All harps are "cláirseacha" in Irish, regardless of how they're strung (even pedal harps). The wire-strung harp is An Chláirseach Ghaelach -- The Gaelic Harp -- or An Chruit.

The way he's playing there, it doesn't really sound very much like a wire-strung. It's not just the lack of using the nails...he's really over-damping. A great part of the charm of the wire harp is in the drone effect achieved by letting the strings ring.

Redwolf
You are correct of course in terminology. The gut or synthetic strung instrument he played is referred to as the neo Irish harp. As for the sound there's really a lot of sustain but it lacks that clear distinct attack from using the nails. I agree with you the charm of that ringing is lost. Does anyone know who made his wire harp?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Randal
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Finally got my wire harp

Post by Randal »

My apologies for not checking in here more often--after starting a thread on..

I haven't been able to keep up harping over the summer--being the primary caregiver to twins :poke:
...and broken nails

I did manage to recently pick up a smaller hammered dulcimer, on which I play much of the same repertoire of Carolan tunes; my new (to me) small one allows me to play more often as I sometimes don't keep my large one out. I've also been back at the flute and box lately, too

Cheers!