I'm only playing in D min!

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: I'm only playing in D min!

Post by benhall.1 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I mentioned The Ewe in the piping thread but I don't know if I mentioned *my* favorite ... The Tempest. I'm not sure it's technically in D Dorian but it's got some nice bendy F naturals in just the right place.
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I learnt The Tempest generations ago, from John Kelly. I love it! My version, though, is the weirdest Tempest I've come across. No thirds and all Cs sharp in the first part, except one Cnat in the last but one bar, and Fnats with all Cs sharp in the second part, except one Cnat in the last but one bar (equivalent bar to the one at the end of the first part). I'll try and post the ABCs in a bit ...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've heard it go both ways. I think the McCarthys may mix it up like that a little on at least one pass. The Clare thing again - that's where Tommy McCarthy was from. Wasn't John Kelly, too?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I've heard it go both ways. I think the McCarthys may mix it up like that a little on at least one pass. The Clare thing again - that's where Tommy McCarthy was from. Wasn't John Kelly, too?
Yes. That he was. :D