Any 5-stringers out there?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Any 5-stringers out there?

Post by brewerpaul »

After seeing The Punch Brothers live, Noam Pikelney got to me and I finally succumbed to the urge and got a 5-string banjo. I ended up choosing an Epiphone MB-100 open back. For $179 including shipping I'm really happy with it.
I'm starting out with clawhammer style which seems to me to be easier to learn than Bluegrass style. A week into it and I can play quite a few 3 chord wonder tunes and am having a blast.
Do we have any other 5 string banjo players here?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tim2723

Re: Any 5-stringers out there?

Post by Tim2723 »

I have an Epiphone five-banger as well. It's the Scruggs model (resonator back, weighs a ton). I never got into it, but I re-tuned it in Chicago style and use it as a chordal machine. I've been thinking of selling it for years. Wish I'd known you were in the market.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Enjoy your banjer, Paul!

The poor banjo is so much maligned. I am in agreement with Pete Seeger though who used to say something like "If everyone were handed a banjo when they were born, we'd put an end to war".
It can really be a "happy" sounding instrument.

I've played for many, many years - blame it on Pete. Started out playing folk songs in frailing and claw hammer styles. I started playing Scruggs style because of that blasted TV show theme - "black gold, texas tea". Then I got into bluegrass, rock-grass, psycho-grass, Dawg Music, and new grass over the years. I was a camp follower of Tony Trischka, Bill Keith and Pete Wernick (aka:Doctor Banjo) in my youth. I loved the balance between old and new styles that John Hartford represented. His "Aereo-Plain" LP was a game changer. I kept the banjo "rolled up and stashed behind the couch" for many years after that. I met Bela Fleck when he was a young guy starting out and was flabbergasted by his timing and dexterity - became one of his camp follower then. I like the Punch Brothers a great deal (ran into Thile when he was a young teen). They follow on in the (non-)tradition of the Grisman bands and others like Strength In Numbers. Noam Pikelny is one of the best of this generation. Let's see where he can take the instrument.

I don't play Irish music on a banjo though. Don't know why really.

I've owned too many banjos to talk about. The five strings I play are a 60's Gibson and an S.S. Stewart Special Thoroughbred from the late 19th century classical banjo period. I have a decent Japanese made RB copy from the early 70's that is my beater.

The Epiphone should be a solid instrument for you. Enjoy!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Yep, I play too. I actually discovered Irish music thanks to clawhammer.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I used to play a bit of OT clawhammer, not too badly. But I kept tearing up the banjo with those prongs. Maybe I should have stuck to ball peen instead.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Banjo jokes, yeeeeshhh! :)
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I'm an old 5-string player from way back, been playing bluegrass (Scruggs style) since about 1970, though I've hardly touched mine in the last few years and not at all since I took up piping.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tim2723 wrote:I have an Epiphone five-banger as well. It's the Scruggs model (resonator back, weighs a ton). I never got into it, but I re-tuned it in Chicago style and use it as a chordal machine. I've been thinking of selling it for years. Wish I'd known you were in the market.
That's OK-- I was interested in an open back model and that's what I got. I was in the local music store and they had some Epi resonators in so I tried out my newly acquired chops on it. It sounded good (and loud) but holy moly, was that thing heavy! I'm happy with what I got.
Got wood?
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Paul, welcome to the wonderful world of banjo. I'm farmer bob at BHO and FHO.. I been playing banjo most of my life. My hobby is building open back banjos. I just finished two longnecks, and I'm now building a fretless. Since you already are skilled at playing music I think mastering the banjo should be easy.... goodluck.... Bob
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Bob-- do you have a link to your openbacks? I'm happy with my Epiphone, but in the future, you never know...
Got wood?
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Been playing, fitfully, for 43+ years on various 5-string banjos and banjo-shaped objects. Current crop is two Bart Reiter open backs and one resonator Deering, all well loved. Not as good nor having as broad a repertoire as the decades could suggest but enjoy old-timey stuff immensely in three-finger style both with picks and bare fingers. -In awe of Dan Levenson and Mark Johnson among many others. (and proud owner of Water Weasels in low G and Bb) There are times only a banjo can scratch that itch.

Brian
:D
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

Yes me too. I have two Deerings, an open back and a resonator. Lots of fun!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/music.asp?id=5401

There's a link to my Banjo Hangout profile, it's got some recordings I did back in late 2006 / early 2007. That's right around the time I started learning the whistle (followed later by tenor banjo, mandolin, & bouzouki), so my 5-string playing has suffered ever since. I really need to get back into playing more.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I play old-time banjo, both clawhammer and two-finger styles.

I have an old Vega Tu-Ba-Phone that I've owned for about fifteen years, and had a self-built Stewart-McDonald kit banjo before that. I play banjo less than I used to, (as I've been working hard on ITM flute and whistle for about eight years now), but I still enjoy it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
5 string fool

Post by 5 string fool »

I started playing banjo many years ago when my boss at the music store where I was teaching guitar asked me if I taught banjo. I said no,and he handed me a 5 stringer and said "Now you do." I took the thing home and mucked around with it till I had the basics down-as a Classical guitarist the right hand was pretty easy for me. Over the years I delved into Scruggs style and became semi-proficient. Then, a few years ago I got bitten by the Irish Traditional Music bug and started trying to play Irish dance music on the 5-string. I know,I know-its the wrong kind of banjo but I enjoy a challenge and besides its the kind I have. I use an unconventional technique using 4 fingers on the right hand and a combinaton of single string Don Reno style and Keith melodic style. Currently I am trying to add the r.h. pinky with a backwards fingerpick to play a bastardized clawhammer as well. If this all sounds pretty strange I'm not surprised .To top things off I'm also trying to teach myself the fiddle. I would be very interested in hearing from other 5 -string players of Irish music . I know there are some very good ones out there and it would be cool to swap ideas with anyone- not to hijack your post Paul , this just seemed as good a place as any to have this conversation.